Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento V6
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a drain and fill on the transmission as preventative maintenance. Used Valvoline Maxlife ATF. $18/gallon at Walmart. About 4-5 quarts came out, and it was dark! Fair amount of metal shavings on the magnetic drain bolt too. Decided to drive around and do another drain and fill. Pictured is 1st fluid change (left), 2nd fluid change (middle), and new fluid (right).
This is what I did.
STEP 1: confirm transmission temp is about 140 F
STEP2: remove filler plug (22mm)
STEP 3: remove drain bolt(24mm), let ATF drain out
STEP 4: replace drain bolt (35 ft/lbs)
STEP 5: remove level plug (3/8 drive)
STEP 6: pour new ATF into filler hole until a small steady stream comes out of level hole
STEP 7: replace level plug
STEP 8: pour into fill hole 700 ml of ATF
STEP 9: start car, let trans warm to 140 F, then cycle between Park and Drive with 3 seconds between each, and about 3 times.
STEP 10: Engine still running, remove level plug, if a thin stream flows out, level is correct. If nothing comes out, add more ATF until a thin stream comes out.
STEP 11: Replace Level plug and filler plug. FINISHED

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,614 Posts
The fluid that its running on now obviously looks better than the second drain, and should be good for another 35 - 40K miles.

Reactions: 2016sorentoV6

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
745 Posts
@
2016sorentoV6
Good for you! You did that transmission a huge favor, you actually drained not only old ATF but also fine abrasive material suspended in it which will effectively reduce rate of wear.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
177 Posts
I’m planning to do a change soon, only 20k miles now. Did you do the exact measurement routine for refilling.

·
Registered
Sorento 2017 EX v6
159 Posts
I'm on 85k KM now, what's the recommended interval for transmission and transfer case?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento V6
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I’m planning to do a change soon, only 20k miles now. Did you do the exact measurement routine for refilling.
I did the same procedure as Richard Lloyd’s YouTube video, which follows Kia’s procedure. Only thing I did different was I check the level with the car running. He does it with the car off, but I’m almost certain it should be running during a level check. Either way, it’s running great, not that it wasn’t before. About 4-5 quarts came out, and it took a little more than a gallon jug of maxlife ATF to get it back to the correct level.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento V6
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm on 85k KM now, what's the recommended interval for transmission and transfer case?
Transmission is “lifetime” fluid, so there’s no intervals for it. I plan to keep the car way past warranty though, so I like to keep fresh fluid in it. I usually keep cars until at least 200k miles before thinking about a switch.

Reactions: bow45

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SXL
156 Posts
i'd do it ASAP and then every 50k km after that. do drain and fill, dont do flush as described here.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did my wife’s 14 sorento at 55k miles. Drain and fill 3 times driving about 200 miles in between. Now at 75k. No issues. Butter smooth shifts. Used Valvoline maxlife ATF. No complaints. Easy maintenance procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento V6
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I added the steps I took for the procedure.

Reactions: theToucan

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yes, car should be running during ATF level check. Always check whether it has to run or not as some cars should not, e.g. Acura CSX.
In case with my Sportage difference was 200ml or 1/5 quart, level with engine off was higher.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
177 Posts
I did the same procedure as Richard Lloyd’s YouTube video, which follows Kia’s procedure. Only thing I did different was I check the level with the car running. He does it with the car off, but I’m almost certain it should be running during a level check. Either way, it’s running great, not that it wasn’t before. About 4-5 quarts came out, and it took a little more than a gallon jug of maxlife ATF to get it back to the correct level.
I’ve seen Richard Lloyd’s video, very thorough.Thanks for your revised post.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
177 Posts
Changed the transmission fluid today at 20,509 miles. Given what the condition of the oil looks like with so few miles and as easy as it is to change it. I will be doing this every 20,000 miles. Going to leave the new fluid in for about 1000 miles. Then do another change to allow the new fluid to clean out whatever residule left behind.
03165B23-373B-4835-B79A-BD5C4B0A2707.jpeg

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,281 Posts
Good Post! Thanks for the photos! It really helps people see how these fluids degrade over time.
Keep up the good work!

Reactions: Majic24

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
177 Posts
Good Post! Thanks for the photos! It really helps people see how these fluids degrade over time.
Keep up the good work!
You’re most welcome, happy to contribute and help each other. Can’t imagine running the fluid for 100k miles. Even worse never changing it. I live in Miami, today it’s 93° which certainly contributes to thermal breakdown of all fluids, battery etc.

·
Registered
745 Posts
IMHO, 20K miles is a little too much but 30K miles is more reasonable.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
177 Posts
IMHO, 20K miles is a little too much but 30K miles is more reasonable.
Less than 20 bucks and 1hours time from start to finish. No harm done. Now that I have full synthetic fluid maybe I’ll go 30k miles. Anyway gave me something to do with social distancing still in place. Cheers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts