Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so long story short, I was at a stop sign and needed to turn left (but i just slowed down and didn't come to a complete stop...I saw a car was coming with a line of traffic behind it, I gunned it and turned left...Well I heard what i thought was the waste gate "flutter" (It actually sounded like a metal on metal vibration going like a 100mphs) and also saw a stream of smoke (not sure what color it was either black or blue), now i know a little bit of smoke is "normal" but this looked like i was driving a diesel lol. So today i head to the dealership and try to duplicate the problem, but of course i cant. But what we did hear is the noise that i heard (but not as intense) but only going over bumps, or rough road, He said its a suspension issue (which makes sense), lifted it up and everything is tight and looks good. I was kinda worried about it but not really seeing that its under warranty for 9 more years...has anyone else had a similar problem? Now i didn't have any noise what so ever before yesterday when i gunned it and turned left. Maybe a half shaft or something from turning left and gunning it perhaps? ^_^ Thanks again for you help!!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Dunno.

Suspension issues generally don't make blue smoke.

Were it a manual, my first thought would be transmission/clutch...

·
Registered
2011 TechnoOrange Sx, 2008 Toyota Solara SLE, 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
66 Posts
Just curious and no need to reply. I cant understand why you say "lol." Seems like lots of people on the forum say "lol" for no reason that I can discern. Must be the times.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i know a little bit of smoke is "normal" but this looked like i was driving a diesel lol
I cant understand why you say "lol." Seems like lots of people on the forum say "lol" for no reason that I can discern.
Sportage in North America isn't a diesel. You can often identify a diesel vehicle when the driver hits the accelerator, and clouds of very small engine bits erupt from the back like a tractor. It's funny to watch, and even funnier when it's a gasoline car, as long as it isn't yours.

"lol" is also a linguistic filler, or an interjection.

lol.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Just curious and no need to reply. I cant understand why you say "lol." Seems like lots of people on the forum say "lol" for no reason that I can discern. Must be the times.
LOL is short for "laugh out loud". Popular Internet abbreviation(?). That's not really an abbreviation, but ya get my drift I assume :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sportage in North America isn't a diesel. You can often identify a diesel vehicle when the driver hits the accelerator, and clouds of very small engine bits erupt from the back like a tractor. It's funny to watch, and even funnier when it's a gasoline car, as long as it isn't yours.

"lol" is also a linguistic filler, or an interjection.

lol.

Dude I know what a diesel is, I have a few buddies with diesel trucks that run 11's in the quarter mile. I used that as an example of how much smoke actually came out. It wasn't the "normal" exhaust smoke that some turbo motors produce.

And I say "lol" alot...not sure why. Sorry dude.

·
Registered
2011 TechnoOrange Sx, 2008 Toyota Solara SLE, 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
66 Posts
No intent to offend. I just don't understand what everyone is "LOL" about all the time. OMG!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Dude I know what a diesel is.
I should hope so. You made the joke. I explained it, why laughing at that point is appropriate. I certainly laugh when a truck driver gets angry, and a big puff of smoke appears, like a cartoon.

After filtering most of the diesel results out of a google search, people suggest a rich-running condition (bad ECU values?), or soot buildup or malfunction in exhaust valves. On an old Sportage they suggest EGR valve issues, but I don't know the current setup.

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ah sorry dude, I took it the wrong way. It was early in the morning lol. But anyway, Im just going to stick it out and see what happens. Thanks again for your help and ill let you know what is done if anything to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
144 Posts
I have the turbo and once under full throttle I saw a ton of smoke coming up behind the car as I accelerated from about 40mph to 80mph. I haven't seen it since but I don't hit full throttle very often mostly because I don't need to. If I have an issue long term I'll be taking advantage of that 100000 mile warranty. So far I'm very happy with the Sportage SX.

Someday soon I'll have to race my son's new GTI, which has been chipped to ~260hp. I've driven his car and it's quick but the torque curve on our turbo engines is much better at the low end.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My experiance of (tuned) 2.0L four pot petrol motors :

Under boost + poor oil separation system = increased oil consumption / smoke under acceleration.

High oil level + high g forces can make the problem considerably worse depending on how the breather system vents the sump.

I have no idea how the SX motor is set up or how the above influences the SX motor but it could be a consideration.

WD :D

·
Registered
966 Posts
Just curious and no need to reply. I cant understand why you say "lol." Seems like lots of people on the forum say "lol" for no reason that I can discern. Must be the times. LOL
There; fixed it! LOL :D :D :D

Okay, the seals between the intake side and the oil supply for the turbine bearing are going bad, allowing the engine to suck oil.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dude! Like totally awesome!!!! You're cool!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts