Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we know of a good manufacturer of a sunshade that fits the Rio? Or alternative car windshields like the Rio?

Autoanything really only offers covercraft. They're thick and heavy and only a 90 days waranty.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it does look nice. But... IMHO, I saw the same material in Walmart for $3.95. Metallized on the front, clear closed cell on the back, very lightweight, rolled up with the same creases as shown in the pics.

I think its the same stuff but custom cut and bound with cloth edge for 10x more.

Sorry, but I bristle with the cost of sunvisors nowadays. Like a $34 steak, I'll pay $34 for a sun visor but it will have to impress me with every bite. :)

I'll just keep my eyes open another day or so.....

·
Registered
2012 Hyundai Sonata, 2013 Rio EX
18 Posts
Ive tried visors before that are not custom, and its just a pain. Too small, too big, to many folds, wont stay up. I'll take a look in walmart and see what they have.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Good point with the folding thing. Myself, I prefer that a sunshade can fold neatly (accordion style) and be hidden away easily when not in use. The Walmart experiment sounds interesting (and super cheap... cool) - but fitting and folding it might be why I personally won't bother going that route.

I wonder if the Soul has a similar windshield? This one seems like a great looking alternative, but will it fit? Plus. I'm not crazy about the "soul" logo on my Rio - and it's pricey! Geez.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good point with the folding thing. Myself, I prefer that a sunshade can fold neatly (accordion style) and be hidden away easily when not in use. The Walmart experiment sounds interesting (and super cheap... cool) - but fitting and folding it might be why I personally won't bother going that route.

I wonder if the Soul has a similar windshield? This one seems like a great looking alternative, but will it fit? Plus. I'm not crazy about the "soul" logo on my Rio - and it's pricey! Geez.
is that include shipping?? wow. Not fair our Rios don't have anything yet. I really need a front bra for my car. not even a week and already have tons of bugs and rock chips in the front bumper. even a small glass chip in the windshield. :crying:

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5dr EX
39 Posts
I found one at Walmart that was $11.99 that is 2 pieces that twist into a very small, easy to store circle. It doesn't cover every square inch of the car windshield but it covers a good 95% and helps to reduce the heat. Plus I got a few little mesh tint things that stick to the side windows with suction cups. I live in Texas so I need all the heat reducing I can get. This set up has helped with temp when getting into the car. I've also noticed that opening the back hatch when you first get into the car helps to release a huge heat pocket in the back and helps to allow the ac to cool the car quicker.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found one at Walmart that was $11.99 that is 2 pieces that twist into a very small, easy to store circle. It doesn't cover every square inch of the car windshield but it covers a good 95% and helps to reduce the heat. Plus I got a few little mesh tint things that stick to the side windows with suction cups. I live in Texas so I need all the heat reducing I can get. This set up has helped with temp when getting into the car. I've also noticed that opening the back hatch when you first get into the car helps to release a huge heat pocket in the back and helps to allow the ac to cool the car quicker.
I'll take a trip to walmart, see what they got. I just plan on getting the windows tinted, but that at least 2 weeks away. What are the laws in Texas regarding window tint? (will most likely be moving to Austin within the year)

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
I bought a nice Silver folding reflective one @ a Ross Store while travelling in Washington State about a month ago for $4.99 :D

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
as was mentioned earlier by ATXRio5, I have one similar for my Soul, which I also used previously in Rondo. Two piece unit with silver on one side and black on the other, and you can fold it together and twist and folds up like a small pizza with an elastic band over it and easily stores under the seat.
They come in different sizes as initially I had problems trying to fit the Rondo due to its very large front window area. It fits fine in the Soul, just overlaps more in the centre but does the job and the visors hold it in place. Don't recall where I purchased it from or what brand.

·
Registered
2012 Black Kia Rio5 SX w/ Nav, 2005 Honda Odyssey EX
190 Posts
I went to Canadian Tire and picked up a Car Shade for $16. I tried it. Fit fine but would not stay up. So, I returned it. Why would they not use suction cups to keep it in place?

So, after searching I remembered that WeatherTech.com has custom fit car shades. They called them TechShades. They are not cheap by any means. They can be used for summer and winter. They are reversible. And they have suction cups.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
I went to Canadian Tire and picked up a Car Shade for $16. I tried it. Fit fine but would not stay up. So, I returned it. Why would they not use suction cups to keep it in place?
usually your visors hold it in place, that's the way it works on mine, wouldn't want suctions cups, leaves ring marks on your windshield. :)

·
Registered
2012 Black Kia Rio5 SX w/ Nav, 2005 Honda Odyssey EX
190 Posts
Yes, now that i think about it, I guess I just needed the larger one. The one i got would not reach the base enough so it would leave a gap. I'll try it again with the larger one.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5dr EX
39 Posts
I'll take a trip to walmart, see what they got. I just plan on getting the windows tinted, but that at least 2 weeks away. What are the laws in Texas regarding window tint? (will most likely be moving to Austin within the year)
Texas Window Tint Law - WindowTint.com - I'm pretty sure this is still the limits... I have had 5% all the way around on previous cars and never had any problems, even when getting pulled over for something else. However, you'll find its all about which cop you get down here. Some are nice and some will try to search your whole vehicle for a tail light being out. I live in/near Austin and the heat is def an issue for the small cabin of the Rio5. I recommend good dark tint, cracking your windows just a bit & starting your car with the AC full blast about 5-10 min before you get in. I usually get in my car every day around 3pm after sitting in the sun all day and the inside temp is usually 120F. Also, there are plenty of places in Austin that will do below the legal limit on tint. Just in case you want to go that low, you will be able to still get it done professionally.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I bit the big one and got a Intro-Tech Automotive Custom Auto Shade™ off an ebay dealer for $29 deleivered. Couldn't find a better deal and quality since noone's making anything to fit the new rios.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SX
18 Posts
Texas Window Tint Law - WindowTint.com - I'm pretty sure this is still the limits...
That appears to be outdated as the limits apparently changed in 2009.

Texas Window Tint Law - TC Window Tint

My Rio's rear side windows are much darker than the front, whereas my front and rear windows on my 06 VW were the same. So I am inclined to believe the website I linked.

Simply go to a decent tint shop and ask for as dark as legally allowed. You may ask someone at the dealership where they send cars to be tinted.

On the original topic, I have been tempted to get one of the cheap windshield shades and cut out pieces to fit the side windows. The A/C unit of the Rio really does have to struggle to overcome a car heated up in the Texas sun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts