Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sedona SX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are an owner of 2015 Kia Sedona and ever experienced the power sliding door making a horrible thudding/clunking sounds with door popping out of rear latch just before automatically closing shut.
Everyone including Kia dealer would tell you it is a weaken faulty sliding motor that needs to be replaced.
And, there may have been many thousands of sliding door motors replaced under warranty or with the costs paid out of owner's pocket.
I've experienced recently this might not be the case at all. DO NOT RUSH to go replace the motor until you do the followings:

REMOVE rubber weather strip/seal from the sliding door opening. this can be done very easily by just pulling it out.
If you don't have any of above problems when operating the sliding door automatically, it is not the weaken motor issue but weather striping issue.

I own 2015 Sedona SX and have learned this experience after replacing the motors multiple times. All 3 motors have been replaced beginning of April this year and the last one installed on 7/20/2021. They all had exactly the same issues when installed

Out of frustration, I and my business partner decided to pull out the weather strip from the door opening which we have long been suspected as the cause of problem, and there was the answer.
Now, all 3 motors work flawlessly with the weather strip taken out and my sliding door sounds better than new.

The new weather strip/seal can be purchased at local dealer for less than a $100 but I choose to take out a reinforced seal( about 24" long rubber tube inside of weather strip at the top section that appeared to be harden by either age of the car or the weather).
You can feel the stiffness of strip at the top section which may have been obstructed the door from closing shut, thus, the motor to make thudding/clunking noises.

We think Kia have been replaced these sliding door motors unnecessarily spending millions of dollars under warranty program.
We hope Kia Co. to follow up with our findings and hope our findings will help 2015 Sedona owners as well.

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
203 Posts
Good to know: My so far trouble-free van (like,. seriously trouble-free) has in the last week or so had occasional trouble getting that last little bit into the latch position.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona SX-L
48 Posts
This has previously been covered. Kia has recently mailed out letters to owners of affected model years and it's covered free of charge. If you already got it done and paid for it, you can seek reimbursement for the repair.

·
Registered
2016 Sedona EX
107 Posts
If you are an owner of 2015 Kia Sedona and ever experienced the power sliding door making a horrible thudding/clunking sounds with door popping out of rear latch just before automatically closing shut.
Everyone including Kia dealer would tell you it is a weaken faulty sliding motor that needs to be replaced.
And, there may have been many thousands of sliding door motors replaced under warranty or with the costs paid out of owner's pocket.
I've experienced recently this might not be the case at all. DO NOT RUSH to go replace the motor until you do the followings:

REMOVE rubber weather strip/seal from the sliding door opening. this can be done very easily by just pulling it out.
If you don't have any of above problems when operating the sliding door automatically, it is not the weaken motor issue but weather striping issue.

I own 2015 Sedona SX and have learned this experience after replacing the motors multiple times. All 3 motors have been replaced beginning of April this year and the last one installed on 7/20/2021. They all had exactly the same issues when installed

Out of frustration, I and my business partner decided to pull out the weather strip from the door opening which we have long been suspected as the cause of problem, and there was the answer.
Now, all 3 motors work flawlessly with the weather strip taken out and my sliding door sounds better than new.

The new weather strip/seal can be purchased at local dealer for less than a $100 but I choose to take out a reinforced seal( about 24" long rubber tube inside of weather strip at the top section that appeared to be harden by either age of the car or the weather).
You can feel the stiffness of strip at the top section which may have been obstructed the door from closing shut, thus, the motor to make thudding/clunking noises.

We think Kia have been replaced these sliding door motors unnecessarily spending millions of dollars under warranty program.
We hope Kia Co. to follow up with our findings and hope our findings will help 2015 Sedona owners as well.
Without the weather strip don't you get water intrusion into the car?

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
203 Posts
Without the weather strip don't you get water intrusion into the car?
OP is suggesting you replace the gasket, not discard it.

As I noted previously, my door had just started having trouble latching completely: The ole hip-bump was required at times. (Very annoying: The van says "all OK" until I start driving, then beep-beep-beep-beep door-ajar warning).

I've implemented an I-hope-so solution. Gasket hardening? Break out the softener! For my 22-year-old Volvo, I regularly apply some super-secret silicone grease to some irreplaceable plastic parts (irreplaceable 'cause they don't make 'em). Keeps things soft and pliable.

So, last week I slathered some silicone on the entire offending gasket (AND I cleaned all the rubber scum from the lower inside door panel). Door has closed successfully and consistently since. Too early to say that this has solved the problem, so I'll keep you posted.
Wood Packing materials Automotive tire Gas Drink

·
Registered
2015 Sedona SX-L. 2006 Acura MDX. 2002 Infiniti Q45
41 Posts

They sent a letter that door issues are covered now outside warranty as well as multi function turn signal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts