Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a few other entries about ticking sounds coming from the valve cover. I havent changed my timing belt and I'am now at 90 000km. So I'am pretty sure I have damaged valves possibly dameged pistons. So my questions are 1. How do I find out what kind of engine it is ? 2. How do I determine if the pistons are damaged(the simplest way) ? 3.Can I change my timing belt and the damaged valves without having to rip the engine apart ? I drive 2001 Kia Rio and I'am not to happy with it, if the pistons and valves are damaged is it cheaper to have it repaired or have a new engine installed. Or should I cut my losses and replace the hole car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I cannot infer from your post whether the timing belt actually has broken. Are you still driving your Rio? If so, then the timing belt is intact. That doen't mean you should not change the belt. 90k km is about 60k miles so the ripe time for a timing belt change. And yes you could change the belt yourself, like I have done it, but from the way you are asking and what kind of questions you are asking you are not up to it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
A tick from the engine does not always mean you've done damage to it. You could have a stuck lifter or lash adjuster, running some seafoam (or simular additive) thru the engine and in the crank should cure that, some of the kia heads (not sure if the rio falls into this area) have a known history of around the 60K km mark and onwards of the intake valves not seating correctly, causing a ticking sound. the fix for this is to pull the head and hone the seats. It could also be a pin-sized hole or crack in the exhaust manifold or a leaking exhaust gasket. It could also be a failing injector, or one of another half dozen things!

If your timming belt has gone you'd have more issues than a simple tick, why would you assume you have damaged the valves and pistons?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Rio 2011 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
817 Posts
yarnad said:
I was reading a few other entries about ticking sounds coming from the valve cover. I havent changed my timing belt and I'am now at 90 000km. So I'am pretty sure I have damaged valves possibly dameged pistons. So my questions are 1. How do I find out what kind of engine it is ? 2. How do I determine if the pistons are damaged(the simplest way) ? 3.Can I change my timing belt and the damaged valves without having to rip the engine apart ? I drive 2001 Kia Rio and I'am not to happy with it, if the pistons and valves are damaged is it cheaper to have it repaired or have a new engine installed. Or should I cut my losses and replace the hole car.
1/ If it's a 2001 Rio it has an A5 1.5L 16 valve DOHC engine

2/ A simple compression test will give you an idea of the piston/valve situation

3/ You should replace the timing belt if it has 90K Km and no you do not have to disassemble the engine, if the vavles do need replacing which I doubt yes the head will have to be removed..

Depending on the oil you use I would suggest a 10/30 or even a 10/40. I run 10/40 with the turbo and it quitened the valve ticking alot..

Dan

·
Registered
11 Sorento CRDI Platinum, 09 Nissan Micra, 82 Suzuki Hatch, 05 rio, 86 hilux 82 laser, 65 beetle
20 Posts
Although the factory specs reccomend 10/40 the higher 40 weight oil will cause the lifters to pump up. This can result in backfiring and in the long term a burnt valve. I have been told and found to be true that using 10/30 Penzoil seems to keep it running very well and clean 2004 Rio 107000 kms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts