Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX/ 2004 Sedona
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I would like to say i very much like the new SUV. I had a 2008 Sportage LX before this and that was a good car as well. but one thing i have found with Kia's is this: My Sportage Speedometer was off by 4mph. In the old Sportage if the Speedometer said 75 you were going 71.

Ok before I hear from people saying how do you know this. Let me add that i work with the State Police in my state. I checked this three different ways. First off I tested this with my GPS. I have 3 different GPS's and they all read the same. GPS is the MOST accurate test out there for speed other than a calibration test on rollers. And still not sure if even that is better. Anyways the GPS said 71 but the speedometer said 75. I then tested with a Radar Gun and again 75 meant 71 and then tested on a Certified Speedometer tester.

We have a guy who has to Certify our cars all the time. And yes 4 MPH off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did not want anyone's eyes to glaze over LOL! Well getting to the new Sorento SX. It is 1 mph off. 70 mph on the speedometer means 69 in real speed. Why is this important? Well if you think about it. Every 10,000 Miles I drive I rack up 10,100 miles and the warranty runs out faster. In the case of my Old Sportage it was even worse at 10,400 miles. My Wife has a Sadona and it's right on the money. Every car i test is Right on the money.

But the two i bought from you guys are off. Can this be fixed as i want this time that the Warranty runs out. It's cause I had all the miles driven on it. Not bonus miles. When your talking 60,000 Miles and in the case of the Sportage that was 400 x 6 and that was 62,400 Miles on he Odometer when really it was 60,000. I would think in this day of computer driven everything that this should be better regulated and done from the factory.

Also the Steering wheel is crooked to go straight. The SX only has 200 miles on it and the Steering wheel is not straight when you are driving straight.

The navigation has a bit to be desired of it. But it is supposed to be able to be updated. But no where does it show you or tell you how to update it. When you start the car is it necessary to always ask me for language and to agree to the GPS thing? i mean you almost wreck to all the agreements you have to use. And it takes like 30 seconds even to let you choose and i have seen it 3 different times FREEZE UP on that start up page.

Actually all the options in it do not work here and there. The phone sometimes does not answer. But if you hit TALK on the phone all of a sudden it works. The GPS should have a AUTOZOOM feature on it. When your at higher speeds zoom out and at slower speeds zoom in closer on streets. The GPS Software is kind of generic and my old Garmin kicks the hell out of it in features and your talking a 2000.00 option vs garmin at 120.00 Pretty sad for the cash. I think I could go on for days.

No Cigarette lighter plug in Cargo area. Rear Window on most every SUV is able to open but not the Sorento. Even my old Sportage did that! Well I do like the SUV and might not sound like I do. But you guys need to make things a bit more in the Quality department. 2K xs 120.00 on the GPS is not good when the 120.00 one has way better screen look and options. Hell half the streets you drive by are not even labeled.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
It is 1 mph off. 70 mph on the speedometer means 69 in real speed. Why is this important? Well if you think about it. Every 10,000 Miles I drive I rack up 10,100 miles and the warranty runs out faster. In the case of my Old Sportage it was even worse at 10,400 miles. My Wife has a Sadona and it's right on the money. Every car i test is Right on the money.

When your talking 60,000 Miles and in the case of the Sportage that was 400 x 6 and that was 62,400 Miles on he Odometer when really it was 60,000. I would think in this day of computer driven everything that this should be better regulated and done from the factory.
I thought I was the only one with a slight difference. I noticed this on mine, but never really gave it any attention, but now I will check to see if it is indeed off. But to be honest, I think dealers give you a few thousand over your warranty to do work (maybe I'm being too optimistic?) That's the experience I had outanyway with Nissan when I was about 1500 miles over warranty and they covered an O2 sensor. I don't know, I'd like to see if anyone else has any positive experience with warranties that are a little over.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spongebob I do love it. But there are a few things wrong that need addressed on it. I have had many new vehicles in my day cause my job often gave us new Company cars. But they would always get a Ford or Chevy or Dodge vehicle. WOW! Never had anything but problems with them. My Sportage was perfect. It had that Speedometer problem and that was about it. Tired wore perfect. Brakes never warped out. The things that went bad were simple items. So that was my real reason for buying another Kia. But what I say here I try to make a Grade B+ car into a A+ car.

Yes Kungfoo check that Speedometer with a Garmin or Magellan and those speedometer on there are extremely accurate. The GPS Satellites are nothing but timing devices. They do all the calculations through timing and those speed readings are more accurate than a radar or laser gun.

And when I told them about this problem with the Sportage the guy from Kia (main office) said oh well then we will honor your warranty to 62,400 miles. But if you take the guys name and number to the dealer they are like yeah I don't think so . I have no way of even ringing that up with that mileage . So they told me to go away with my 61,000 miles.

So what I am saying is it's funny that the mileage is off to the high side all the time. Never to the low side so that your warranty last longer and that you have less miles. The crooked Steering wheel I know they will take care of. But I want them to fix this speedometer problem. They can not even use the fact that the Tires are off cause they are stock tires.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6
65 Posts
My Sorento shows speed very close to my GPS, may be 1-2 mph, since speedometer on car is not digital, but analog there is a plus/minus one mile.
NOTE - Speedometer readings depends on wheel size - bigger wheels you get lower reading you will get on speedometer.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Did you compare the odometer to the GPS, or some other accurate measuring device, or are you just going by your calculation? There are lots of other cars that have optimistic speedos, and there odometer read correctly. I even had a bike once that was 8% optimistic and the odometer read correctly. There is a percentage that the speedos can legally be off, I'm not positive but for some reason 4% sounds right(?).

I hear people say all the time that GPS is the most accurate, but has anyone ever done a test to measure how accurate they really are? Its hard to believe that the GPS is always right and there is no possibility that one could be incorrect or out of calibration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Sorento shows speed very close to my GPS, may be 1-2 mph, since speedometer on car is not digital, but analog there is a plus/minus one mile.
NOTE - Speedometer readings depends on wheel size - bigger wheels you get lower reading you will get on speedometer.
Well since the Sorento shown here has 200 miles on it and is Factory new. i would say that they should know the size of the tires they put on the vehicle and set the Speedometer accordingly. It should be set for the size of tires on it since Kia is the one who put the tires on. I would agree with you if they were tires I put on. But this is a few day old car.

And I explained my 3 methods of testing. my GPS is correct. The civilian side of the GPS is extremely accurate. GPS is a Timing system. The satellites know your position by the timing of received signals from each known satellite. And as you are moving the satellites signals change in timing and that is how it knows how fast you are traveling.

The clock pulse in those satellites is off 1 second every 75 million years. The timing is correct. The military side is even more accurate. But I also said I tested my GPS with a Radar Gun and a company that comes and test the State police cars for their certified Speedometers. This guy calibrates Speedometers for a living and is a certified tester. He drives the cars drive wheels (Both if 4x4 AWD all the time) up on rollers and test the vehicle at speeds from 30 to 100 mph. LOL! You should see those rollers and wheels move at that speed OUCH! Scary if those rollers would ever lock up he would be a mile away before he could blink LOL!

Anyways as I said this is correct. So I know this Speedometer reading on the GPS is very accurate. Hell you can get an APP on most phones that will show you the same deal.

Does anyone also know how to update the GPS system in the Sorento? I feel there has to be an update by now. The GPS has many bugs in it. POI kind of lacking in nature. there is a lack of detail available to them as well. As I said before my 120 Garmin is better than the 2K option in the car. I also said that I love the car for the ride, Feel, Quality of the interior. Many reasons why I bought this over a GM or other kinds. Also more bang for the buck. but I would like to increase it's grade from a B+ to an A+. It's human nature to want nothing but the best.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6 AWD w/Sunroof, RIDES a 2012 Suzuki GSXR 600
189 Posts
My Sorento is also off by a few km's per hr. My previous cars speedo's were also off just a bit. All had/have analog speedos.
Its not something related to just Kia's.
If you REALLY want to test your theory, jump on the highway on a long drive. Set the cruise at lets say 100 Km/hr (60 for you US people) and note the odometer at the start and after that one hour. Make sure its a rolling start at 100 KPH.
The odo should read exactly 100 KPH more than when you started.

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
Did not want anyone's eyes to glaze over LOL! Well getting to the new Sorento SX. It is 1 mph off. 70 mph on the speedometer means 69 in real speed. Why is this important? Well if you think about it. Every 10,000 Miles I drive I rack up 10,100 miles and the warranty runs out faster. In the case of my Old Sportage it was even worse at 10,400 miles. My Wife has a Sadona and it's right on the money. Every car i test is Right on the money.

But the two i bought from you guys are off. Can this be fixed as i want this time that the Warranty runs out. It's cause I had all the miles driven on it. Not bonus miles. When your talking 60,000 Miles and in the case of the Sportage that was 400 x 6 and that was 62,400 Miles on he Odometer when really it was 60,000. I would think in this day of computer driven everything that this should be better regulated and done from the factory.

Also the Steering wheel is crooked to go straight. The SX only has 200 miles on it and the Steering wheel is not straight when you are driving straight.

The navigation has a bit to be desired of it. But it is supposed to be able to be updated. But no where does it show you or tell you how to update it. When you start the car is it necessary to always ask me for language and to agree to the GPS thing? i mean you almost wreck to all the agreements you have to use. And it takes like 30 seconds even to let you choose and i have seen it 3 different times FREEZE UP on that start up page.

Actually all the options in it do not work here and there. The phone sometimes does not answer. But if you hit TALK on the phone all of a sudden it works. The GPS should have a AUTOZOOM feature on it. When your at higher speeds zoom out and at slower speeds zoom in closer on streets. The GPS Software is kind of generic and my old Garmin kicks the hell out of it in features and your talking a 2000.00 option vs garmin at 120.00 Pretty sad for the cash. I think I could go on for days.

No Cigarette lighter plug in Cargo area. Rear Window on most every SUV is able to open but not the Sorento. Even my old Sportage did that! Well I do like the SUV and might not sound like I do. But you guys need to make things a bit more in the Quality department. 2K xs 120.00 on the GPS is not good when the 120.00 one has way better screen look and options. Hell half the streets you drive by are not even labeled.
My Sorento EX doesn't have the navigation, but my Borrego does. It seems to be a be simpler as there is only one warning button on the touchscreen to activate it. And if I leave it on, I can do that when I start the truck up. But yeah, I know what you mean about a $100 garmin being more capable than the $1500 in dash navigation. And Kia wants $200 to update the frigging maps when just about every other GPS has lifetime updates these days. Go figure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts