Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on my daughter's 2000 Kia Sportage. The A/c blows cold for the first 5 or 10 minutes then the compressor shuts off. The fan in front of the condenser keeps running but with the compressor off we get just hot air. With this being a 12 year old system I thought it was clogged. So I replaced the dyer and expansion valve. I flushed everything then vacuumed and recharged with about 15 oz of 134a. NO CHANGE. I bypassed the pressure switch on the dyer. NO CHANGE! I bypassed the thermal switch near the blower fan under the dash. NO CHANGE!!!!!

I could really use some ideas here. It's 104 deg today and I can't let my kid keep driving without a/c.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I've been working on my daughter's 2000 Kia Sportage. The A/c blows cold for the first 5 or 10 minutes then the compressor shuts off. The fan in front of the condenser keeps running but with the compressor off we get just hot air. With this being a 12 year old system I thought it was clogged. So I replaced the dyer and expansion valve. I flushed everything then vacuumed and recharged with about 15 oz of 134a. NO CHANGE. I bypassed the pressure switch on the dyer. NO CHANGE! I bypassed the thermal switch near the blower fan under the dash. NO CHANGE!!!!!

I could really use some ideas here. It's 104 deg today and I can't let my kid keep driving without a/c.
Test the wire running down to the A/C compressor clutch - the (connector) at the firewall is exposed, and may be the issue,

or the wiring from the connector -> to the A/C clutch is subject to (flex), and may have an intermittent short.

Cleaning the connector and gently flexing the wiring in between your fingers down to the A/C clutch while to see if the A/C compressor clutch engages would be recommended.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I'll check, but the compressor shuts off at an expected interval. It doesn't happen randomly. And once it's off it wont come back on until the vehicle has been shut off for at least an hour. I'm beginning to think I have a high pressure issue, but I don't know where the high pressure shut off can be bypassed at.

In the mean a positive to ground short is always a possibility. I'll check for that.

Also, I've switched the A/C relay and the A/C shutoff relays back and forth, no change.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, Galf, If the ECM could be the issue then how do I check this? My car is not overheating. But could there be an issue with ECM falsely turning off the A/C?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
OK, I'll check, but the compressor shuts off at an expected interval. It doesn't happen randomly. And once it's off it wont come back on until the vehicle has been shut off for at least an hour. I'm beginning to think I have a high pressure issue, but I don't know where the high pressure shut off can be bypassed at.

In the mean a positive to ground short is always a possibility. I'll check for that.

Also, I've switched the A/C relay and the A/C shutoff relays back and forth, no change.
Or an intermittent wire (break) - if you have a multimeter, try hooking up at the firewall connection, w/ other probe to ground, and see if you're getting voltage at the A/C compressor clutch connector..

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
987 Posts
Ok, Galf, If the ECM could be the issue then how do I check this? My car is not overheating. But could there be an issue with ECM falsely turning off the A/C?
I would check with an OBD II scanner what is the coolant temperature reported by the sensor.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
A cut relay ,if the coolant temp exceeds a certain temperature, the ecm sends a signal triggering the cut relay , shutting off the ac system. Its found in the blower evaporator assembly, its a replaceable part.
Information retrieved from kgis
chief

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chief, Do you mean the relays next to the blower fan. There are 2 relays. The A/C and A/C cut off? I've switched these 2 back and forth a few times, no change.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
(chief, hope you don't mind me jumping here..)

If you haven't already, recommend signing up at the kiatechinfo website (see my sig., using Internet Explorer), and navigate to the Service Info for the 2000 Sportage:

SPORTAGE(AL) >2000 > G 2.0 DOHC > Heating,Ventilation, Air Conditioning -> (troubleshooting), which diagrams locations / diagnostic tree for the relays,

This youtube video:

offers the helpful tip of (clearing / purging) the feed line of air after installing the refrigerant can / before opening the fill valve..

This post:

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/67690-2001-kia-sportage-c-problem.html

may help, e.g. jumper the switch to check for compressor engagement / narrowing down the issue to an (electrical) or (A/C pressure) issue..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to Chief and Galf I think I found the problem. Plugged in my scanner and up popped Code P0118 Coolant Temp High Range. I'll get a sensor ordered this morning.

Where is the sensor located? I'm sure I can find it but I've wasted too much time fumbling around.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Cruise / not at all, 104 degree if that happen in vermont i think they would close the the state.
Kali's / i'm only going by diaphragms but it looks likes its internal / some kind of sensor, temp. Activated.
Check kia discount parts it shows location and part #.

Chief

·
Registered
340 Posts
Follow top hose down to thermo. Housing. On left side 2 wire connecter . The 1 on right side is for gauge 1 wire connection.
Hope this solves your problem.
Chief

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's Fixed! You wont believe what I found. I chased this problem for over a month, spent $150 in parts and Freon. And when I went to replace the temp sensor I found that the radiator was 1/2 gal low. The seal on the cap was cracked and must have boiled off the water. The car never overheated due to my daughter only drives about 15 minutes to get to school or work. Never got a dash warning light.

Well at least it's fixed. That which doesn't Kill us, makes us stronger.

Thanks again to everyone. Wish I asked for your advice sooner.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Glad you have it fix / the up side your going to have good working ac.

Good luck chief

1 - 20 of 20 Posts