Kia Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,015 Posts
The vehicle designer should design the AC based on the size of the vehicle, and if they've done that correct then the performance should be similar regardless of the cabin size.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,655 Posts
My previous vehicle, a Ford Focus would absolutely freeze me out in 10 minutes. Not sure what you’re trying to refute. It’s acceptable for a new car to have poor A/C performance?
I've owned well over 40 cars in my life, and the Kia A/C performance on my Sportage is on par with all of them -- and I live in Vegas -- high temps, you know.... There has to be something wrong with yours if this is not what you experience...

Reactions: ron1004

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I've owned well over 40 cars in my life, and the Kia A/C performance on my Sportage is on par with all of them -- and I live in Vegas -- high temps, you know.... There has to be something wrong with yours if this is not what you experience...
Which is precisely why I made this thread. To compare and contrast my experience with others’.

The issue has already been found and addressed. The system was low on refrigerant. Second dealer found the issue and corrected it. My A/C performs as good now as any vehicle I have owned.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
922 Posts
That's such a basic function I'm amazed that the first dealer couldn't find it. With an A/C system, low refrigerant has to the primary reason for poor cooling!

Of course, I'd still be concerned why it was low, we have two eight year old cars in the family, both 2013 models. Neither have had any maintenance on the A/C system, and both cool just fine. If a brand new car is already losing refrigerant, that's not a good sign!

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
That's such a basic function I'm amazed that the first dealer couldn't find it. With an A/C system, low refrigerant has to the primary reason for poor cooling!

Of course, I'd still be concerned why it was low, we have two eight year old cars in the family, both 2013 models. Neither have had any maintenance on the A/C system, and both cool just fine. If a brand new car is already losing refrigerant, that's not a good sign!
Totally agree. I am keeping an eye on it.

You should have a look on the Telluride forums regarding A/C problems. Apparently the condenser is located in a place where it's susceptible to debris strikes. Condenser leaks. A/C system performance drops. Not covered under warranty. People paying $1k-$2k to have the A/C fixed on their brand new Kia unless they can get their insurance to cover it.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
922 Posts
WOW, we looked at the Telluride before we got the Sorento, but it was larger and barely fit the garage. It would really chap my butt to have to pay for an expensive A/C repair right off the bat!

I suppose you can hope that the A/C was simply not charged properly at the factory, it's not as if stuff like that never happens. ;)

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
WOW, we looked at the Telluride before we got the Sorento, but it was larger and barely fit the garage. It would really chap my butt to have to pay for an expensive A/C repair right off the bat!

I suppose you can hope that the A/C was simply not charged properly at the factory, it's not as if stuff like that never happens. ;)
I know it! I would be really displeased being one of those Telly owners.

Yeah, I am expecting the refrigerant to go low again and told the service manager such. A leak is the most likely culprit. If it happens, just gonna roll with it. It's working GREAT right now, tho!

·
Registered
2020 Sportage S
245 Posts
My previous vehicle, a Ford Focus would absolutely freeze me out in 10 minutes. Not sure what you’re trying to refute. It’s acceptable for a new car to have poor A/C performance?
My previous vehicle (2014 Focus Hatch) was adequate but not exemplary. I live in Phoenix, AZ and routinely see temps above 110- 115 in summer, so your mileage may vary. It's also smaller, so it has less air volume to refrigerate. My sportage does better than the focus, but as I stated it has more surface area to cool with.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
My previous vehicle (2014 Focus Hatch) was adequate but not exemplary. I live in Phoenix, AZ and routinely see temps above 110- 115 in summer, so your mileage may vary. It's also smaller, so it has less air volume to refrigerate. My sportage does better than the focus, but as I stated it has more surface area to cool with.
Previous vehicle was a 2014 Focus ST, and it could take the interior to meat locker cold in 10 minutes after sitting in the sun all day. It was seriously a blast chiller. The only vehicle that got colder was my 2012 HEMMT A4 LHS (I was an 88M in a former life). That system would shoot frost out the vents if you let it run on high for more than 30 minutes.

I would say, at the moment, my 2022 Sportage is on par with my 2014 Focus ST. Prior to filling with refrigerant, it was more on par with the third-hand 1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera I inherited from my older sister. The A/C worked...but barely. :D

41 - 49 of 49 Posts