Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, things in the Northern Hemisphere are heating up. My 2022 Sportage SX sits in the sun all day and I don't use any window coverings. Yesterday it was about 100F degrees and my car was in the sun for about 6 hours.

My drive home is around 45 minutes mostly highway, and I used remote start 10 minutes before I got to my car. My Sportage literally did not blow cold air until I reached my home. The car ran for 55 minutes with Max A/C in 100F weather in direct sun before the system got cold.

Is this normal? Are my expectations too high?

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
201 Posts
So, things in the Northern Hemisphere are heating up. My 2022 Sportage SX sits in the sun all day and I don't use any window coverings. Yesterday it was about 100F degrees and my car was in the sun for about 6 hours.

My drive home is around 45 minutes mostly highway, and I used remote start 10 minutes before I got to my car. My Sportage literally did not blow cold air until I reached my home. The car ran for 55 minutes with Max A/C in 100F weather in direct sun before the system got cold.

Both of my Sportages will freeze you out and cool down fast.
take it back.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX Turbo 4wd
45 Posts
I had the same issues about a year after ownership. Work was covered under warranty and haven’t had any issues since.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
1,123 Posts
I've been told that the refrigerant used in my 2017 is not great. I hope they changed that in the newer ones. Mine works okay most of the times but sometimes it does take a long time to get going. Also it smells odd every once in awhile. My dealer who I really do trust says it's just that way.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,655 Posts

Think about what you are doing. If the outside air is 100, and your car was sitting in the sun, your internal temp would be 130-140 or even 150 with black upholstery. So it is actually cooler outside than inside. Your max setting recirculates air rather than taking air from the outside. So the air you are cooling is 130 degrees and your air conditioner might cool that down by 30 degrees or so. Then, your air conditioner is putting out 100 degree air -- the same as the outside. Before you take your car to the dealer, try this. When you start driving, open a window or two for the first couple of minutes to let the superheated air out. Your remote start really isn't doing much because you are just recirculating superheated air with your car at low rpm which makes the air conditioner much less effective. Then, when the inside temp is equal to the outside temp, your max air setting can work effectively. The key is to get rid of that superheated air. I live in Vegas -- I know how this works. After that superheated air is gone, your car should be getting cool in 5-10 minutes. Remember that your car is a big heat sink. All of that metal and black upholstery stores heat -- it's not just the ambient air. Make sure your seat ventilators are also on to help get rid of some of that stored heat. Also get a reflective sunshade. They really do work. Tinting also helps a lot as it prevents UV rays from superheating your interior. Good luck...

·
Registered
8 Posts
What he said ^^^^^ is 100% correct. Max air works best when the car is cooled down due to the way it works. I live in Texas summers. not quite as bad as Vegas, but close enough. I always drive the first few minutes with windows down and the AC on normal, not recirc. Let us know how it works for you. My AC in the new 2022 will absolutely freeze you out in less than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
920 Posts
I've been told that the refrigerant used in my 2017 is not great. I hope they changed that in the newer ones. Mine works okay most of the times but sometimes it does take a long time to get going. Also it smells odd every once in awhile. My dealer who I really do trust says it's just that way.
I learned about the A/C stink in my old house when I replaced the A/C with a high-efficiency model. It developed what is known as "dirty socks syndrome". That's exactly what it smells like, it's the mold in the A/C system from moisture trapped when the A/C stops. With the newer and more closely spaced core fins, it's happening more and more.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,655 Posts
I have no problems with my 2017 and it only takes longer to get going when the air inside is excessively hot. I change my cabin filters often (every oil change) and use carbon (odor) filters. The only stink I have is when I need to take a shower....

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the feedback and ideas. I appreciate all of your input!

So yesterday it was about the same 100F degrees and I let the car sit in the sun all day. Tried rolling the windows down and driving at highway speeds while running the AC. Once I felt the interior surfaces had normalized, I rolled up the windows. It still took about 30 minutes of driving to feel like the interior cabin was a comfortable 72F-ish degrees.

I did a further test last night just before midnight. Sunset was about 9:10PM and the car had been in the shade since 6PM (almost 6 hours of shade). Outdoor temps were hovering around 75F degrees. I went for a drive with the A/C on max. After 60 minutes of cruising at 60mph at no point did the air feel "cold" nor did I feel frozen out. It was cool and comfortable with the temperature setting on LOW and fan speed on HIGH.

I feel pretty strongly that there is an issue with my A/C system. Under those circumstances in any of my 3 previous vehicles I would have had to turn the temperature up or fan speed down.

I am taking it in for service.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,015 Posts
If its not the variable displacement type compressor, check if the clutch is engaged and stays engaged while the interior temperature is high, and if it is, then its a gas issue.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Any decent A/C should have exhaust temperatures at least 20F lower than the inlet temperatures and should proabably be more like 25-30F lower. If you don't have recirculate on, and your temperature is reading 75F, you should be getting 55F or colder air out of the vents with the A/C on full. If not, there is certainly an issue with the A/C. If the humidity is really high, that might shade toward a 20F differential.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,655 Posts
If its not the variable displacement type compressor, check if the clutch is engaged and stays engaged while the interior temperature is high, and if it is, then its a gas issue.
I believe we have variable compressors -- i.e., no clutch.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,655 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback and ideas. I appreciate all of your input!

So yesterday it was about the same 100F degrees and I let the car sit in the sun all day. Tried rolling the windows down and driving at highway speeds while running the AC. Once I felt the interior surfaces had normalized, I rolled up the windows. It still took about 30 minutes of driving to feel like the interior cabin was a comfortable 72F-ish degrees.

I did a further test last night just before midnight. Sunset was about 9:10PM and the car had been in the shade since 6PM (almost 6 hours of shade). Outdoor temps were hovering around 75F degrees. I went for a drive with the A/C on max. After 60 minutes of cruising at 60mph at no point did the air feel "cold" nor did I feel frozen out. It was cool and comfortable with the temperature setting on LOW and fan speed on HIGH.

I feel pretty strongly that there is an issue with my A/C system. Under those circumstances in any of my 3 previous vehicles I would have had to turn the temperature up or fan speed down.

I am taking it in for service.
Two thoughts. First, make sure your air conditioner is turned on and not on vent. You've probably done that already. Second, it could be the internal thermostat or a blocked thermostat vent hole. I assume nothing is attached to your dash like a phone or you have something covering your dash???? Those are simple ones. It's probably not either, so you should take a trip to the dealer...

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima Ex
1 Posts

Pretty ridiculous to let your brand new car take a beating like that. Then complain your ac can’t fix it. This just in the sun is the hottest It’s ever been. Its brutally hot now. Can’t believe you jump in your car that hot and wonder how come the ac is not working.Your not doing a thing to mitigate the unreal heat.

First thing I bought for my 07 and any car I buy is a Weathertech insulated custom shade for the windshield then bought a ceramic tint Install. Then I built a foam foil covered board custom shade for the rear package rack That blocks the rear window 100%. I can hang both of these in about 20 seconds when I get out. Doesn’t matter how hot it is when I get in my car the ac cools it off in less than a minute. Dash is cool seats are cool car is happy.
Doyou have any idea how much electronics are in the dash that your cooking to death? How many expensive ecus?
If you had a Ir thermometer you could measure the dash after a day in the sun. Did that once on a car here in Florida it was 190 f.
Amazon sells a nice inexpensive IR thermometer Called Tekcity. Very handy around the house. $35.
I highly recommend you buy one. The readings you will take will shock you.
The other things I do and have done for yearswith all my cars is I crack the hood when I arrive. I have a 1 foot rod in the trunk I prop the hood up with.
When I ge5 to work I open the hood and prop it up on that rod. Let all that heat out instead of letting it cook all day like a pizza oven under. The heat stays trapped under there for hours, it’s not hot under there when your driving all the heat soak is when you shut the car off. The engine will reach very high temps from that soak over 200 f.
When I get home I open the hood up all the way till it’s cool. This greatly increases the life of everything under the hood the motor the trans the rad all the rubber and plastic and the AC COMPRESSOR.
I took off that stupid engine cover too its just a sound deadener but it’s also a really big heat trap right where I don’t need it on the top of the motor. I don’t notice any more engine loudness maybe a little.

My car is a big investment these things take seconds to do with a big return of longevity and comfort.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Raybo I got the email notification of your post before it was deleted. Your comments are understandable without context - so here it is: I have lived in this climate all my life and owned many vehicles which had zero issues cooling the vehicle quickly. This is what prompted my post here. Trying to get a sense of whether this is “normal” or if something is malfunctioning. Since EVERY vehicle I have ever owned didn’t have a problem cooling the vehicle I figured I would take a shot. Apparently I’ve raised the ire of several members questioning how I could possibly expect my A/C to cool the vehicle from 120F to 70F in thirty minutes of driving…to that my only reply is because the standard that’s been set for me by other vehicles is about 10 minutes to do the same job.

·
Registered
920 Posts
@RayboApparently I’ve raised the ire of several members questioning how I could possibly expect my A/C to cool the vehicle from 120F to 70F in thirty minutes of driving…to that my only reply is because the standard that’s been set for me by other vehicles is about 10 minutes to do the same job.
And a reasonable standard it is. I spent a lot of time in Las Vegas and Phoenix, AZ traveling for business. I had a variety of different rental cars in those visits. I never had any issues with properly working A/C cooling the car within 10-15 minutes of starting it. Typically, the car would sit out in the sun for hours before I drove it, sometimes the interior was so hot I couldn't comfortably get in. In those cases I'd start it with full A/C and give it a few minutes to cool down a bit.

If you are driving half an hour with full A/C and still not getting proper cooling, something is broken.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Possibly the operator is not familiar with the automatic climate control and is outsmarting himself. Wouldn't be the first one on here to do that.
I'd say turn the temp setting to 72 and sync the left and right temps. Make sure its set for dash registers only. Press the 'Auto' button. Assuming the '22 SX has the opening roof, go ahead and open it when first starting off for maybe 5 minutes, but you should close it before getting up to highway speed - its great to run with it on the highway but if you try to open or close it at speed, its a very loud, violent action that I personally avoid. This lets a lot of hot air out and helps cool the interior surfaces a little. if you don't have the opening roof, let down some windows.
By this time you should be feeling cooler air from the registers.
BTW, close the roof shade when parking or at any other time (with the roof closed, of course) that the car has trouble dealing with the heat.
On 'Auto', the system will re-circulate the air in the car which cools the car faster than allowing the hot outside air in. At some point the system will be satisfied and revert to fresh air.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts