Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the A/C light logic is messed up on my car...

1) In auto climate control mode, any temp I set, the A/C for sure is on, but the indicator light is not

2) In auto climate control mode, I can only get the A/C light to light up if i turn temp all the way down to "low"

3) In manual climate mode, the A/C is on no matter what temp I set, but the light is not illuminated. Only way to turn A/C off in manual mode is to hit a/c button twice, once for on, then again to really turn it off.

4) In manual mode, A/C light comes on if i turn temp down to "low", but this is manual mode, why would A/C turn on automatically, what if I just want the equivalent of outdoor air coming into the cabin with no temperature adjustment at all??? Also, why is the A/C on when I am in manual mode, but the light doesn't show that it is on, when I know for sure that the air it is giving me is way colder than outside, it seems as if there is no actual manual mode to speak of at all???

Anyone else with auto climate control, does your car behave like this?
I really feel that if the A/C compressor is working, that i should be informed of this, and not have to guess by the temp of the air. It should be my decision if I want to be running the compressor or not, or at least I should have the information to know if it is or not easily, especially in manual mode.

Let me know if my car is not behaving like normal.

Other than this one little annoying thing, i love this car!!!

thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 SX,2007 Honda Fit Sport
7 Posts
My A/C is exactly the same as yours LordHelmet. I do not know what the outside air smells like anymore unless I open the window.

·
Registered
2012 Black Kia Rio5 SX w/ Nav, 2005 Honda Odyssey EX
190 Posts
I think this is all normal. Mine behaves the same. Because you have climate control the AC is not necessarily on. The system is able to provide the requested temperature without turning AC on. That's good in fact. Otherwise, you have AC running all the time, which consumes more gas over time. So, the climate control is just smart enough to know when it really needs AC on.

I leave all auto controls on in my car. Lights, wipers, climate control. For the latter I just play with the temperature and off I go.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
The problem I have with auto mode is the fan. Every time I have the climate control on auto the fan goes to almost max. If I turn the fan down then auto goes off. I'd like to leave it on auto all the time but I can't stand the wind.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think this is all normal. Mine behaves the same. Because you have climate control the AC is not necessarily on. The system is able to provide the requested temperature without turning AC on. That's good in fact. Otherwise, you have AC running all the time, which consumes more gas over time. So, the climate control is just smart enough to know when it really needs AC on.

I leave all auto controls on in my car. Lights, wipers, climate control. For the latter I just play with the temperature and off I go.
Agree, but here is the thing. I think the A/C is actually on all the time, not just when it is unable to provide the requested temp. You would have no way of knowing that, because it refuses to let you know it has decided to start sucking gas (using the A/C compressor) by illuminating the A/C light. I on the other hand am lucky enough to have a strange noise coming from the A/C system when the compressor is on, so I know for a fact that the A/C never turns off when in auto mode, even when the heater is on! I can get rid of the noise by going to manual mode, and clicking the A/C button twice.

So really, I think the system is using A/C all the time, even in manual mode unless you specifically disable it, and thus giving us worse gas mileage than we would expect....

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Agree, but here is the thing. I think the A/C is actually on all the time, not just when it is unable to provide the requested temp. You would have no way of knowing that, because it refuses to let you know it has decided to start sucking gas (using the A/C compressor) by illuminating the A/C light. I on the other hand am lucky enough to have a strange noise coming from the A/C system when the compressor is on, so I know for a fact that the A/C never turns off when in auto mode, even when the heater is on! I can get rid of the noise by going to manual mode, and clicking the A/C button twice.

So really, I think the system is using A/C all the time, even in manual mode unless you specifically disable it, and thus giving us worse gas mileage than we would expect....

Hello, I don't have SX model so I don't have auto AC, but what I read here remembers me of the time when I drove a 1981 Grand Prix Brougham. It had auto climate control. Even at that era, auto climate worked the same way: with AC on all the time. I wasn't paying that much attention to gas consumption back then but I remember seeing to needle go down faster than when I put the whole system Off. And the fan was always at top speed too.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
the A/C never turns off when in auto mode, even when the heater is on!
A/C serves two purposes. To cool the air, and to remove moisture from the air. A/C is commonly used in conjunction with the heater on cold days to keep the windows from fogging up.

A/C does have an impact on fuel consumption, but it is not as significant as driving style and outside temperatures and several other factors. The belief that A/C sucks gas is a thowback to the days when it DID suck gas. But these days, not so much.

·
Registered
Kia Rio SX Navi 2013
109 Posts
A/C serves two purposes. To cool the air, and to remove moisture from the air. A/C is commonly used in conjunction with the heater on cold days to keep the windows from fogging up.

A/C does have an impact on fuel consumption, but it is not as significant as driving style and outside temperatures and several other factors. The belief that A/C sucks gas is a thowback to the days when it DID suck gas. But these days, not so much.
X2

Even with no auto climate, when you put defrost the AC is on.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, all makes sense. but i still don't get why when the A/C is on, why the light wouldn't turn on, just as an "FYI" type thing to let the driver know that indeed, the car has decided to use the A/C compressor, just so that we are aware. It does behave like this when you set temp to "low", so why only then would it use the light?
To me it just seems reasonable that if the A/C compressor is on, the light should be on. I don't see any good reason for it not to be on... that is all....

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
The only reason I can see is that since A/C is designed to be on when defrost is on, people may think the A/C is on by mistake and would turn it off. Just a guess but I don't really know why the light wouldnt go on whenever A/C is active.

Maybe it's the little A/C light that sucks the gas. No little light = improved mileage. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts