Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

So my wife's 2003 kia sorento is the subject car and she tried to turn on the a/c on and it did not work. I checked it and the a/c compressor is turning on and the heater turns on, the issues is that the blower into the cabin will not turn on. I have been trying to find info on this with not much luck.

I did find something about the fan blower being behind the glove compartment and that the pair of wires should have various voltages on it when the blower is turned on. this is a manual a/c switch.
Can someone run me through the test to check the voltage on the two wire connect that is there( just to make sure)
It seemed like I did not have voltage there when I tried what I thought. and presuming I do not have voltage here, where do I go next?
I checked the fuses that had blower on them in the fuse box there were on 3-4 with that designation all large 30 and 40 amp guys.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
A fairly common issue is that the blower motor resistor fails. This leaves you basically with off, off, off, HIGH. Try the highest setting to see if the blower kicks in there, and then you know what part needs replacing. If you get nothing on any settings, you can then see if your fuses (looks like you checked those already) are good. There are fuses both under the hood, and in the footwell for the front.

Does it only not work when the AC is on, or does it not work no matter the setting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input.
ok so from reading previous input I did try the switching the blower to various (low, med, high, highest) setting with no luck.
And yes I checked the fuses under the hood (anything that had blower on it)

per your request I checked the fuses under the dash (drivers side) and did not see anything that would indicate a blower of any kind. Does that sound correct?

and to answer your last question the heater and ac turn on (so to speak) but the blower that would normally push the cold/hot air across the coils does not turn on. (I know this because the hot coming out of the vent is hot but barely moving only radiant) I can hear and see the compressor turning on and off when requested by controls.
truly it is the blower in the cabin that is troubled.
Can I get to the wires for the blower to check for power? if so where would I find it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea I had a little time to work on it tonight.
pulled out the glove compartment again and I found the two wire conector that goes into the blower motor.
I tested the voltage here and found it to have voltage on every low med high position so it sound like my blower motor is dead.
Is there anything else to check before buying the blower motor?
thanks for the assistant

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
yea I had a little time to work on it tonight.
pulled out the glove compartment again and I found the two wire conector that goes into the blower motor.
I tested the voltage here and found it to have voltage on every low med high position so it sound like my blower motor is dead.
Is there anything else to check before buying the blower motor?
thanks for the assistant
OK. So you've got power on the blower side of the resistor. So much for that being a cheap/quick repair. Get to the blower motor, and see if you're still getting voltage at that point. If you are, than the motor is seized, and will need to be replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts