Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Kia Rio. I tried looking on KiaTechInfo.com and did a google search but couldn't find a manual and know very little about cars. So I am hoping photo's and an explanation will save me some time or money!

The car runs fine. When you turn the heater/AC on it starts to rumble, then screech then you can see one of the units attached to the belt seize up. Turning the air off allows it to turn freely again. Leaving it on through the screeching will cause the belt to snap. Replacing the AC Compressor seems like it would be quite a task especially since it is behind/under a lot of other stuff.

In this first picture there are 3 pulleys you can see. An upper pulley and then a lower left and right pulley all hooked up to the same belt. It is the lower right pulley/unit which seizes (which I assume is the AC Compressor).

In this second picture you can see the whole unit.

From other research it sounds like a lack of oil or an overcharge can cause the unit to seize. What is the easiest/cheapest way to test the different options? What kind of oil would I buy for an AC unit, I don't have a 'ac charger' so where would I take it to charge the AC unit or is there something I could buy to flush/charge it myself? Please be as detailed as possible in your responses and thank you in advance!

·
Registered
Lots
340 Posts
The typical problem is the belt is loose.

The possibility of the compressor being bad is the next thing to check.

I dont think from what you have written this would be a DIY project for you. Any shop that does AC work should be able to make repairs.

-SP

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
I agree with speedy25 if the compressor is bad/siezed which sound's like the issue. Unless you have the equipment to evacuate the system to get the moisture out for replacement let a qualified garage do it. Not to say shop around for a new compressor yourself and save some money. If you don't need A/C don't worry about it and disconnect the clutch coil and open the window's this summer. If you want A/C shop around for the part and save some money. It's up to you what to do compressors aren't cheap. Good luck Reguard's Ronjohn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts