Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago I replaced the A/C compressor drive belt. It ran perfect for 2 days or so but then started squealing. I adjusted the tension and the tensioner is in good working order, but it still squeals a little. Sincerely its driving me crazy and I know it isn't the alt or the PS drive belt. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio 1.4 16v dohc
105 Posts
To prevent squeals i usually clean the pulleys with soap to remove dirt (grease, oil, dust, etc) and, after the installation of new belt i spray on it silicon grease (only a bit). Try to clean all pulleys and new belt with soap and water and after apply some spray grease on the belt in both side (contact with pulleys and over).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

I've done some more observations and it seems that the source of the problem is the compressor. When the A/C is on and the compressor clutch engages, the compressor gets stuck and that's why it squeals... I've tried some WD-40 and it stopped for a bit, but it keeps doing it. I think that the belt has too much tension.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,971 Posts
from what you have described it sounds like a problem with your compressor or compressor clutch and to add a silicon spray to a belt would do nothing but make the belt slip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

I just finished adjusting the tension in the idler pulley and it went away... It ended up being the belt was to tight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another update:

It went away for a few days, but it started again... Got under the car and found out that one of the tabs where the tension screw sits had broken :/

No A/C again 'till I can get a hold of that bracket

1 - 6 of 6 Posts