Kia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll bite and get the $5888 advertised Rio. It has no power steering (not a problem), no radio (um, problem), and no A/C (big problem). The dealer wants either $2500 to install A/C on the $5888 car, or they want to sell me a $12,210 car. Why can't I just put the A/C in myself? I would think a junkyard or even the KIA dealer could sell the parts to me. R-134a can be installed by anyone, of course I would need gauges, but I'm thinking that I can do this for WAY less than $2500 or $6322.

As for the stereo, I have a Kenwood cassette deck in my closet that works fine, I took it out of my van when I got a $5 OEM cassette deck at a flea market. The Kenwood was intended for whatever my next car is, and if it's this Rio, I want to put that in it. I assume the car is wired for a radio of some kind? Or do I need to wire it up myself straight to the fusebox? I also assume speakers are NOT included, but is the wiring for them present? And then how do I go about putting in an antenna?

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Originally posted by occupant@Feb 23 2005, 02:35 AM
I'll bite and get the $5888 advertised Rio. It has no power steering (not a problem), no radio (um, problem), and no A/C (big problem). The dealer wants either $2500 to install A/C on the $5888 car, or they want to sell me a $12,210 car. Why can't I just put the A/C in myself? I would think a junkyard or even the KIA dealer could sell the parts to me. R-134a can be installed by anyone, of course I would need gauges, but I'm thinking that I can do this for WAY less than $2500 or $6322.

As for the stereo, I have a Kenwood cassette deck in my closet that works fine, I took it out of my van when I got a $5 OEM cassette deck at a flea market. The Kenwood was intended for whatever my next car is, and if it's this Rio, I want to put that in it. I assume the car is wired for a radio of some kind? Or do I need to wire it up myself straight to the fusebox? I also assume speakers are NOT included, but is the wiring for them present? And then how do I go about putting in an antenna?
2500 is too steep dont go that route. a/c might be a bit tough to install yourself unless you are really mechanically inclined. i advise you to not do it yourself.
the a/c kit at my dealer is like 399.99 and like a total of 700.00 installed. i dunno why they are telling you 2500.
yes the car is wired for a radio and speaker wires should already be there alos. the antenna should be there to if there is not one on the ouside buy just the antenna it has the wireing ran already!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by 1fastkia@Feb 23 2005, 07:46 AM
2500 is too steep dont go that route. a/c might be a bit tough to install yourself unless you are really mechanically inclined. i advise you to not do it yourself.
the a/c kit at my dealer is like 399.99 and like a total of 700.00 installed. i dunno why they are telling you 2500.
yes the car is wired for a radio and speaker wires should already be there alos. the antenna should be there to if there is not one on the ouside buy just the antenna it has the wireing ran already!
I checked the car out a little more thoroughly last night after they were closed (live right behind the place). It does have an antenna, it's just pushed all the way in. A salesperson at a different Kia dealer confirmed the presence of speaker and stereo wiring and connectors.

The dealer wants to charge $5888 for the non AC car and $8388 for the AC car because we live in Texas, and it's a seller's market for anything with working AC on it. What I may do is buy the car for $5888, put in my Kenwood, get some speakers, get the tint done, wait for a cold day, and then shop around for the AC at other dealers.

AC is $800 installed at the factory, should be no more than $1500 at the dealer. Even Honda and Toyota dealers around here charge $1500 to add air to Civics and Echos and such that don't already have it.

I'm pretty good mechanically, I can change a heater core, so I can install the evaporator. I added power steering to my old Ford truck, I can install a compressor and bracket. I can do a radiator, so I can install the condenser. The lines are self-explanatory, and I can take it somewhere for the wiring and charge if I think it's too much. But the components should be easy to install. You sure about that price, there's no way the kit is $399, a compressor alone is worth that!

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Originally posted by occupant@Feb 23 2005, 09:24 PM
I checked the car out a little more thoroughly last night after they were closed (live right behind the place). It does have an antenna, it's just pushed all the way in. A salesperson at a different Kia dealer confirmed the presence of speaker and stereo wiring and connectors.

The dealer wants to charge $5888 for the non AC car and $8388 for the AC car because we live in Texas, and it's a seller's market for anything with working AC on it. What I may do is buy the car for $5888, put in my Kenwood, get some speakers, get the tint done, wait for a cold day, and then shop around for the AC at other dealers.

AC is $800 installed at the factory, should be no more than $1500 at the dealer. Even Honda and Toyota dealers around here charge $1500 to add air to Civics and Echos and such that don't already have it.

I'm pretty good mechanically, I can change a heater core, so I can install the evaporator. I added power steering to my old Ford truck, I can install a compressor and bracket. I can do a radiator, so I can install the condenser. The lines are self-explanatory, and I can take it somewhere for the wiring and charge if I think it's too much. But the components should be easy to install. You sure about that price, there's no way the kit is $399, a compressor alone is worth that!

Yes a/c is 779.40
http://www.kiausaparts.com/catalog/results...m&section=AIR01

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.