Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, would it be a good idea to start a 40's club for us Rio owners. I'm having this idea cause for six weeks in a row, my 2012 Rio EX Auto has passed the 40 MPG mark. Last entry is 575 km. with 35,597 L. My calculations show 357 miles, 6,19L/100km or 45.63MPG. Rio's computer says 5.9L/100km avg. A difference of 0,29L so I think it's almost dead on. The things I've adapted myself to: from regular to supreme gas, reduced speed to 90-100km, lot of coasting, almost no kickdowns except when merging with traffic, used AC when needed, opened up the sunroof when I felt like it, drove with front and rear passenger opened to 4 inches, smooth breaking, smooth acceleration. Can't believe it myself. I didn't changed my driving habits drastically. Sure, it's tempting to drive the car in a sportier manner and I do it at times to satisfy this need but, and I wonder if other Rio owners have had the same feeling, I don't feel like tossing this car around like I did with my Neon. I find that the Rio don't command that. The Neon needed to be driven "fast and furious". From O to 100 km in less than 8 seconds. This little devil couldn't stand still. All what the Rio is not...Tell me for the 40's club.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
My calculations show 357 miles, 6,19L/100km or 45.63MPG. Rio's computer says 5.9L/100km avg.
If you're going to start a 40's club then you'd best use US MPG rather than Imperial MPG if you want to be taken seriously, since you can't even buy an Imperial gallon of gas anywhere in North America. So, based upon 6.19 L/100km (38 mpg US), you're not even in your own club.:p

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Taken seriously? Too much!!! Better forget about this then. I understand. Gonna be too complicated.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Almost 40 club

Racineur I just calculated my average MPG since day 1 for 5924 kilometres @ 42.325 imperial mpg or 6.67 ltrs/100. I would say about 40% highway driving & almost all with ECO on & remember I am @ 3500 ft elevation. I also drive conservatively but i don't slow for corners as the SX 17 inch wheels & sport suspension works quite well & i have never seen a Radar Trap in a corner ! I have never used premium gas( And question why do do as Kia says regular is ok) & use either Superstore or Shell gas.Best tank 51 MPG & worst 31.Overall this little car is doing exactly what I expected :).

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
My point was, why convert to Miles per Imperial Gallon?? All it does is inflate your mileage numbers. Miles per US gallon is a far more meaningful figure. Or just leave it at L/100km.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My point was, why convert to Miles per Imperial Gallon?? All it does is inflate your mileage numbers. Miles per US gallon is a far more meaningful figure. Or just leave it at L/100km.
marleyfan61, I had forgotten about this US/Imperial difference. No offense intended. But when I do the maths with the amount of liters for a full tank and the number of kilometers the Rio did, I come to the result above but true, I translated the result in Imperial MPG. You're right: better leave this in L/100km.
Cheers

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Racineur I just calculated my average MPG since day 1 for 5924 kilometres @ 42.325 imperial mpg or 6.67 ltrs/100. I would say about 40% highway driving & almost all with ECO on & remember I am @ 3500 ft elevation. I also drive conservatively but i don't slow for corners as the SX 17 inch wheels & sport suspension works quite well & i have never seen a Radar Trap in a corner ! I have never used premium gas( And question why do do as Kia says regular is ok) & use either Superstore or Shell gas.Best tank 51 MPG & worst 31.Overall this little car is doing exactly what I expected :).
Hi, I think your Rio did better mileage than mine from day one. Mine had terrible mileage but now it's doing better. Your post clarifies something else (that the dealer couldn't or wouldn't answer): the SX with the 17in tires and the sport suspension does as good as my EX with 16inch tires and standard suspension. Today, I can say I love the little car but I should have gone for the SX. My fault since I said the salesman I was looking for a quiet ride (if possible) so he directed me to the EX model. BTW what is "Superstore"? I'm still waiting for the magic number: 50+.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts