Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an Amanti about a month ago. The model I have only has 8 speakers. The rear deck has a big speaker cover without a speaker. I was told it's there for the model that gets the infinity system.

I went to a Car Toys store and asked about a speaker to put in there and they wanted $700. They said I needed a 6" or 8" speaker, an amp, an amp kit and a box they would build under the speaker cover in the trunk. It already has a curved space that hangs down in the trunk, but they said they need something bigger.

I was hoping to spend between $100 to $200. I was hoping to just increase the sound some what and make use of the space thats there.

They told me just putting another speaker there will do nothing for the sound. They say I need the amp and stuff to get the bass effect to increase the sound.

I'm 49 years old and listen to classic rock most of the time. I like it fairly loud but I've never been a fan of the boom boom bass sound. Do I have any other options that make since? $700 is out of the question!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well a free air sub might just fit the bill. It's a subwoffer that is designed to work outside of a fixed volume enclosure like a speaker box. You will need to but an amp though. But a single free air woofer and a small amp shouldn't be very expensive. If you have the knowhow to do the install yourself and a low pass filter, and a converter that you can use to tap into the speaker wires and give you an RCA jack for the amp.

THis wont give you a great deal of Bass and is definetly not as good as a propper system with an aftermarket headunit, crossover, amps and subs in a box. But since that doesn't seem to be the sound your looking for anyway it might work for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I listen to classic rock such as Grateful dead, Led Zep, etc. and have a complete aftermarket system with the so called "boom boom box".

You seriously do not know what you are missing. If i were you i would invest a little money in to the system, but nothing too extravagant. An 8" sub utilizing the existing space, replace the factory speakers, and a 5 chanel amp to run everything. As well, get a decent head unit with enough pre-outs to run the amp. Might cost a little more than you originally wanted to, but the sound quality and clarity out of aftermarket speakers will be well worth it.

Trust me, the bass from 1 sub will compliment any oldies. Bring along Zep 4 and play Black Dog at the local stereo shop. You'll see what i mean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts