Kia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sportage 4d 4x4, 1994 Suzuki Sidekick 2dr, 4x4 softtop
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased the 99 Kia Sporage a few weeks ago and had driven it around town doing errands daily without noticing any overheating related issues. However this past weekend I drove it over the pass and noticed that when going up the hills it begins to heat up. As soon as I noticed I turned the heater on and cranked it up all the way. That kept it from getting too hot, although the dash gauge still indicated it was running warmer than normal.

As I continued with my drive I got to flat lands and was driving at speeds of 55-65.

At 55 with the heater on, the gauge would read normal although if I had to stop for more then 15 seconds it would go up again. Going 55 with the heater off, the gauge would go up. At 65 even with the heater on, the guage would be above normal. I didn't try it with the heater off as I was more concerned about getting to my destination without the assistance of a tow truck.

After I reached my destination and the car had cooled down I decided I'd check fluids and oil etc. The oil was fine, the radiator was full but the reservoir empty. I added a little antifreeze to the reservoir.

The next day on my way home I noticed pretty much identical temperatures as on my way there, I just kept the heater on and drove no faster than 55 on flat land areas and 35-45 over the pass.

When I got home I checked the fluids again, and still everything seemed just fine. I phoned the guy I bought it from and he said that it had sat for a while and that right before he parked it he had put in a new heater core, that is all he knew or was willing to tell me.

Today I decided to take it for a 45 mile trip(90ish miles round trip) and still I had to drive 55mph with the heater on to keep it at the "normal" temperature I get while driving in town. On my way back from my trip today I turned the heater off about 5 minutes before I got home so it could heat up and I could get out and listen when I got home. I heard some gurgling/boiling type noises, and also the fan on the front of the radiator wasn't on.

Other than the issue with it running hot, it seems to be a great running vehicle. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also what makes the fan on the front of the radiator kick on?

Thanks,
Sportagedad

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Sounds like you may a air flow problem. Was your radiator cleaned an thermostat replaced? If yes and the problem still is happening i would check the fan clutch. With engine off an cold try spinning the fan blades. It should spin freely , now with warmed up engine repeat this test. It should be hard to spin or not at all. If it spins freely the fan clutch is a fault. Also check the fan blade for cracked or missing plastic blades.
The fan in front is used with a/c. you should also test for proper operation . With the a/c on the fan should be running. If not check for power at motor. If yes an not running the fan motor may be at fault.
Some e/z checks to start with. Try not to overheat the engine they are very temp sensitive
chief.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,263 Posts
sportagedad welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you may a air flow problem. Was your radiator cleaned an thermostat replaced? If yes and the problem still is happening i would check the fan clutch. With engine off an cold try spinning the fan blades. It should spin freely , now with warmed up engine repeat this test. It should be hard to spin or not at all. If it spins freely the fan clutch is a fault. Also check the fan blade for cracked or missing plastic blades.
The fan in front is used with a/c. you should also test for proper operation . With the a/c on the fan should be running. If not check for power at motor. If yes an not running the fan motor may be at fault.
Some e/z checks to start with. Try not to overheat the engine they are very temp sensitive
chief.
This is the typical problem with these cars.

Many have installed electrical fans for improved reliability.

The electric fan on the front is for the AC and only comes on when using the AC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chief.

Got a chance to check out the fan and it does soon fairly free when at normal town driving temperature, may need to replace it then huh. And Ron, Ty for the welcome and reply. Is this the problem you ment was common? How easy is it to switch to an electric fan? Ty all.

Sportagedad

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,263 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello all just joined,
thougth id share some info if not already done.
I had the same problem but I repaired the fan clutch with a $10 bottle of silicone fluid from ebay. if it is spininng freely then its probably low in fluid which may have seeped out over time

remove the fan clutch out of the car and open it up. held by 4 screws very hard to get out. need are very suitable philips screwdriver and a vice may also be neccassary to hold it from moving. open up fill with silicone to about half way not too much as it will spin all the time. may have to use a bit of rtv silicone to ensure no leakage and put back in car.

when you start it will roar alittle but as you drive for about 30 seconds it goes away and spins freely again.

I hope this helps someone. I did plan on doing electric fan replacement but could not afford it.

Speedy

·
Registered
2000 Sportage 4x4 , 1998 Saturn SC2
65 Posts
THANKS Kiaspeeder ...I will keep that in mind for later...no need to waste $$$

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the help, replaced fan and still have the same problem. I drained out some fluid from radiator and I can see through the cap the slots inside are plugged with rust/sediment of some kind. Pretty sure I need a new radiator, going to try flushing it first but doubt it will make any difference.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's hard to clean all that out, but if you can, start watching for leaks. I have given up a few times and just bought new radiators and all new hoses with it. Keep a weather eye on the temp, it's the second fastest way to kill an engine behind running out of oil. It's a learning process, I had to learn after Katrina, couldn't afford to fix my kids cars any other way, too many....LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You I'm looking at ordering a new radiator now cause I know will have to, see some priced between $60 and $200. You got any advice on brands/places to buy?

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is our first foriegn vehicle, and I am trying to learn as much as possible, but there are some very experienced owners here, who I hope will give thier advice. If you plan on keeping it , I would look at warranty, it will give you a gauge for quality...

NAPA has one for 160.oo with a lifetime warranty . I never buy many important and hard to change parts from Autozone, although they do carry Timkein bearings for the front wheels, which I purchased from them. This shopping for quality parts can be a PITA sometimes. If I could afford to, the NAPA one is the one I would buy.

Also i'm not sure about the connections for the auto tranny and oil cooler if your Sportage has these. The shop manual shows separate coolers for them. So I would take the old one with you to the Auto Parts Store to verify they are exactly the same.....Hope this helps....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife loves it, so yeah we plan to keep it. We'll get rid of our Sidekick before we get rid of the Sportage. I was sort of thinking the same thing about the warranty, some come with 1 or 2 years while others come with a lifetime. I'm the type of guy who is willing to pay extra for a longer/extended warranty.

Its funny to me that you shop at NAPA as opposed to Autozone, I usually shop at Autozone. Of course there is more to that story as I don't care for the NAPA in Lebanon. However, I just moved to La Pine and the only auto parts store here is NAPA. Will give them a call tomorrow and see what we can come with.

Thanks a lot for your time and help cncman, it is really appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts