Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok its been hard to start for awhile now i changed the fuel filter that didnt help then a few days later it would start but spit and sputter then die before i could get it in gear. so i put a new fuel pump in it. runs great now but still hard to start. have to crank if for a bit before it will start. so i put my hand on the fuel pump and had the wife turn the key to on but not crank it. the fuel pump does not turn on but when i have her turn the key to start it then the fuel pump kicks on. so is it suppose to be like that or should it work like a chevy? you know it comes on for a few seconds when you first turn the key on then it stops till you start to crank the engine over. just wondering if thats not right and thats why its hard to start. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
196 Posts
ok its been hard to start for awhile now i changed the fuel filter that didnt help then a few days later it would start but spit and sputter then die before i could get it in gear. so i put a new fuel pump in it. runs great now but still hard to start. have to crank if for a bit before it will start. so i put my hand on the fuel pump and had the wife turn the key to on but not crank it. the fuel pump does not turn on but when i have her turn the key to start it then the fuel pump kicks on. so is it suppose to be like that or should it work like a chevy? you know it comes on for a few seconds when you first turn the key on then it stops till you start to crank the engine over. just wondering if thats not right and thats why its hard to start. thanks for any help.
I am not sure about the 99 model. I have an 02, 4 door, 4x4. I have the service manual for it. Every test that I have come across so far, says to jump the DLC connector to get the pump to run; if you are not cranking the engine. Mine turns over 2 or 3 revolutions before starting. I don't know if you consider that hard to start or not. Have driven it several thousand miles now without issue. I have a previous post on this issue, and wasted much time troubleshooting your current premise. Cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts