Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After not working for about 9 months I recently had the transmission on my Kia rebuilt. All was well for 2 weeks and then I went to turn the car on and it wouldnt move. Startted up just fine, but wouldnt move. So I have it taken back to the AAMCO I had teh transmission rebuilt at, they look at it and say something or another about valves which they promply fix. They take it out for a test drive and tell me it's now over heating (it wasnt before) because get this, the fan isnt turning on and they've traced it to the fuse box needing to be replaced. Having never heard of needing to replace a fusebox, I'm rather leary, especialy as they're wanting to charge me $800 to to replace it.
So, I'm wondering how easy it is to replace a fuse box and where I'd get one as AutoZone looked at me like I was off the deep end.

- Noel

·
Registered
138 Posts
I will get a 2nd opinion before spending any $ on the fuse box. Doesn't make sense. They probably knocked something off, now did it overheat? I would be concerned about future headgasket problems. Document everything and get everything in writing, make notes of every conversation with name and time/date. Seems like you might be headed to the small claims court.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I'm an electronics technician. While I don't know exactly how often it happens in a car but, any electrical device can be physically damaged. Vibrations, exposure to heat for long periods of time, and other factors can cause breaks in wire-conductors, corrosion of connectors, and similar problems.

I can say this, IF your' fuse box does need replacing; ask around and see if you can find a local automobile recycling yard. I've gone to a "U-Wrench-It" twice to find parts for my 97Kia-Sephia and have found it to be the most economical way to go.

Just remember, nearly everything in the KIA (and most other makes now adays), is METRIC. So double-check your toolbox before you go.

Most recycle-yards charge a modest entry fee (say $1), and a reputable one can usually guide you as to what range of model years are equivalent. The big thing is to know where and what to look for when hunting these yards, since they rarely keep a useful inventory. (The one here just rotates the junkers through a 30-day cycle, when the time is up they're gone.)

Personally, I was able to single-handedly pull the throttle valve(and IAC sensor), and the main computer off two seperate Sephias in less than 30 minutes. And that was my very first time doing anything like that, ...EVER.

Those two pieces cost me $74, including a refundable "core fee". The price the KIA authorized service center quoted for those two came out to $2,000!!!

So, think about it. IF you do need something replaced, it's normally good to go with a recycling yard.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
6 Posts
i definally agree you need a kia tech to look at this. in the mean time you can wire a constant power wire to the fan to keep it on till you get the chance to get it looked at. but buying a whole fuse box is a little severe at this point i think. have you checked you relays? be sure there dead if you think they are cause they go for 20 bucks a pop at my dealership. had to replace one for my fuel pump.

shawn

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a KIA SHUMA 2003 Model, the engine rides smooth until recently the O/d lights starts flashing and my dashboard light has refused to come on,my radio doesn't come on again the happened after i replaced the front headlamp bulb, could somebody help with information on how to fix this

·
Registered
2 Posts
The key less entry on my SHUMA 2003 has refused to work after i changed the front headlamp bulb as well, a mechanic said it could be the fuse and i could doit myself but i can't seem to locate the fuse that has caused the disruption of my electrical system (Radio, Keyless entry and dashboard ligths) some one with useful information please help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts