Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 99 SPORTAGE. IT RECENTLY STARTED TO MISS SO I REPLACED ALL THE PLUGS, WIRES, FUEL FILTER, AIR FILTER, AND BOTH O2 SENSORS. I AM STILL GETTING A CODE P0137. IF ANYONE HAS A NY IDEAS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. IT ONLY SEEMS TO MISS WHEN IDLING. WHEN I AM DRIVING DOWN THE HIGHWAY IT SEEMS TO BE FINE.

·
Registered
349 Posts
DTC P0137 - Rear O2 sensor low voltage.

Possible causes: Short to GND between C199-4 and C211-39.
Faulty O2 sensor.

This is probably not the source of the miss at idle but should start with the flagged error first. Did you replace the O2 sensor with a genuine Kia part or with a universal 4 wire O2 sensor? The universal 4 wire sensors are OK to use but you must modify the wiring harness to install them. If you did use a universal replacement go back and make absolutely certain it's wired correctly. If you are certain it's correct then I'd recommend checking the wiring harness all the way back to the ECM. But an "open" in the wiring harness would usually flag a P0140, not P0137. If you want that section of the electrical manual send me an e-mail at [email protected].

If you used a genuine Kia part you should still verify the wiring harness, especially the connector just above the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have replaced both of the o2 sensors about 1 month ago. original kia parts. is there a way to test the coils. or does any one have any other suggestions. what are these and what is a good way to diaganose it . short between C199-4 and C211-39

·
Registered
349 Posts
The shop manual listed those items as POSSIBLE causes of that trouble code. That doesn't mean that's the only cause. Essentially the reason the ECM set the code is because the rear O2 sensor has a low output. The best way to determine what exactly is going on is to monitor the O2 sensor with OBD-II scan software or directly with an oscilloscope. But most DIY'ers do not have access to this sort of a diagnostic equipment. So you have to use the old method of actually checking out the wiring and if that's good then the only alternative is to replace the O2 sensor again. The possible "short" listed in the shop manual is between electrical connectors C199, pin 4 and C211, pin 39. The only way is to sort thru this wiring is with the electrical manual. Which is why I offered to send you that section of the manual to trace out the wiring. But I would also suggest checking the electrical connector just above the O2 sensor. The Sportage electrical system uses cheap connectors and issues with them are very common. Unplug the connector and check it over carefully. Make sure the contacts are firmly seated and there is no corrosion.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I HAVE LOOKED AT THE O2 SENSOR WIRING AND IT LOOKS FINE. MY MAIN CONCERN IS WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THE MISS. WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD IT DOES NOT MISS AT ALL. WHEN IT WARMS UP THAT IS WHEN IT BEGINS. COULD THIS BE THE COIL OR WOULD THE 02 SENSOR CAUSE IT TO MISS. THE O2 SENSORS WHERE GIVING THE CODES BEFORE IT BEGAN TO MISS. I DIDN'T THINK THEY COULD MAKE THAT BIG OF A DIFFERENCE OVERNIGHT. ONE DAY IT RAN GREAT THE NEXT MORNING IT WAS JUST MISSING.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Many systems on a modern computer controlled engine are inter-related and a problem in one area can cause weird problems in other areas. I'm not saying that the rear O2 sensor is the cause of the miss but you still need to eliminate all error codes first before proceeding. And you have provided an important clue that makes the O2 sensor a suspect with the "miss". When the engine is cold the ECM operates in "open loop" mode. It ignores O2 sensor data and uses programmed parameters to keep the engine running in a "rich" mode. Once the engine reaches operating temp it goes to "closed loop" mode. The ECM now uses O2 sensor data to control the fuel/air mix. See where this is going? If the ECM cannot get proper data from the O2 sensors it MIGHT set the incorrect fuel/air mix which MIGHT result in a miss. That's why I keep emphasizing that you need to clear the KNOWN error codes first before tackling any other problems. If you don't you may just start replacing expensive parts and not fixing anything. The miss MIGHT be a coil but until this O2 sensor problem is fixed you can't tell for sure.

The O2 sensor wiring may "look" OK but unless it's verified with an ohm meter you really can't tell for sure. I got your e-mail and I'll forward the section of the electrical manual you'll need. I would verify ALL O2 sensor wiring from the ECM right to the sensor to make sure it's good.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Correct. DTC P0171 is "system too lean" code. But this trouble code has an important note associated with it that I will quote...

"If any codes relating to injectors, O2 SENSOR......are stored do all repairs associated with these trouble codes FIRST"

And if I take your logic one step further there is also a trouble code for misfire. P030X. X would be the cylinder with the misfire. If the engine indeed has a miss I would expect this code to pop up too. It hasn't. Which is why I can't stress enough that you go after what is KNOWN first. Fixing the O2 sensor MIGHT fix the miss.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a similar problem for some time and changed the O2 sensor with no change to the problem. I finally found a small tube on the intake manifold that was open to the air, it should have had a small rubber cap on it ! Problem took less then a minute to fix once it was located.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts