Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 sporty almost died on me the other day. radio was out, battery light was on, and oil pressure light was on. found the alt charging at like 10 volts. replaced the alt and now charging at 9.3v. put a napa alternator on it. any ideas? thanks.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Greetings,

I would check the sense wire on the alternator plug, make sure the wiring and connector is good & fully engaged,

Make sure the terminal ring on the B+ wire is clean and secure on the bolt, but do not overtighten),,

Check and clean your ground points: battery terminals, bat. neg. to ground tray, ground tray bolts under the battery (plastic) tray, ground tray to motor ground strap/wire connectors..

The alternator B+ feed goes to the 80 amp main fuse in the engine compartment fuse box, check all fuses in the engine compartment and passenger cabin fuse box,

If the battery is older, consider pulling and having it tested at a local auto parts store.

Hope this helps,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i double checked the wiring at the alternator just to be sure. no problems there. also checked the power wire out of the alt that charges the battery and its crimped into the battery cable where it connects to the battery. battery terminal was a little loose so i tightened it and retested. still 9.33v. i will test the battery at work tomorrow but ive never seen an alternator that shows charging at 9v and have the battery causing it. but i will double check. i will take the alt back out and have it tested just to be sure i didnt get a junk reman like ive seen too many times before. also i have a question. is this alt controlled by the ecu? i would assume not due to the fact of only having 2 wires on the alt connector. thanks.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
i double checked the wiring at the alternator just to be sure. no problems there. also checked the power wire out of the alt that charges the battery and its crimped into the battery cable where it connects to the battery. battery terminal was a little loose so i tightened it and retested. still 9.33v. i will test the battery at work tomorrow but ive never seen an alternator that shows charging at 9v and have the battery causing it. but i will double check. i will take the alt back out and have it tested just to be sure i didnt get a junk reman like ive seen too many times before. also i have a question. is this alt controlled by the ecu? i would assume not due to the fact of only having 2 wires on the alt connector. thanks.
Greetings,

No, alternator charge output on the Sporty is not controlled by the ECM - most automotive electric circuits try to keep the (2) isolated.

The charging sense line on the Sporty's generator (aka alternator) - runs through the dash lighting / generator charge warning circuit, per the ETM schematics on the kiatechinfo website,

This link:

Delco SI Alternator 1-Wire vs 3-Wire Explained

provides a good explanation of a typical 3-wire GM alternator wiring setup (what the Sporty uses), and the reasons why it is setup in this manner:

( From the above link: )
--
On the Sporty, input connector:

The yellow/green wire is the [1] Field Excite/Warning Light Indicator Input,
The black wire is the [2] Remote Voltage Sense Input,
The heavy gauge black wire is [3] BATT Output.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
KIA Sportage Grand 2000 128HP Silver
124 Posts
Mine is charging erratically between 12.1-13.2v.
I dismantled the alternator, the brushes is almost new, the diodes are good.
I cleaned plugs, pressed a little on them for better contact. I think that negative way is by hinge system with big bolt that is used for tension of the belt. I found lot of dirt there, also grease. I cleaned the surfaces and put it alternator back.
Now the rate of charging is increased to 13.8-14.4v. I' m not checked ground points. Yet.
Still oscillating charging. Is it normal? Any ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts