Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father owns a 1998 Kia Sportage (~122k miles) that has more or less been neglected. I do not believe he has followed the regular maintance schedule, but anyway...

The sportage refuses to start without some effort. If we turn the key at let the starter do its job for about 15 to 20 seconds she somtimes comes on, but idles at around 400-500RPM. When the gas pedal is depressed, she immediately tries to die.

Apparently, this began as a minor problem and progressively got worse. First he complained that she was running rough, then having trouble climbing hills or anything else that put the engine under more load than normal, and finally she began stalling on him. The check engine light was on for some time, but we never had the codes pulled, and now when we do manage to get her started, the check engine light is off, so I doubt a OBD tool will help.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem with their sportage? Any input/ideas/miracles would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like it needs plugs and wires. If your handy it is an easy job. If you read the other posts they say you should change the plugs every 35,000 miles. I had a similar problem with my 98 and plugs and wires did the job. If the check engine light came on it will store the code and Auto Zone will check for free. I have used them. I sent my wife up and they gave her a print out of the codes and what they ment along with prices for the parts. If you post the codes on this forum there is alot of help. They have helped me a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not that - that was done about 3000 miles ago. thanks though.

I took the oil cap off while it was running and there was quite a bit of vapor that came out - couldn't tell if it was smoke, exhaust gas, steam, etc. Seemed a bit odd, but I don't know what to make of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have had this problem several times i would check your air flow meter for oil contamination.if so a modified rocker cover is required as the early ones were not fitted with mesh to stop oil going into the air intake and you will also need a new air flow sensor.this is a very common fault on the 97/98 models

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you replaced the catalytic converter? That's what this sounds like. Sounds like a backpressure problem and would be caused by a clogged up catalytic converter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had similar problem with my 01 --fuel tank tends to rust or corrode especially in my shore area ! Also running over tree roots and heavy beach travel dosnt help ! Thankfully
my thing was covered by the warrentee at about 53 grand miles :) but took for ever
----needed new tank ( I hope ) new injectors --filter ---pump ( I think in tank ? ) --Was time
for plugs ( hidden in a cover under plastic housing ) ---and a rental ford touris for three weeks ( talk about bad on gas ) ! :angry: Had another problem earlier with timing belt
and anothe with a rotted cat converter --The agency changed the entire exhaust !
I think one can buy a pc program and attachments to connect to car for diagnosis but
wish for pree computer of computer free vehicles like my old carburated 4x4
vehicles ! Cant even find a service manual for some cars today especially my
vehicle ! They have us trapped ! After four years took my thing for inspection and liscence
light was never installed ! Would lobby for owner repairable cars ! The Kia is relativly tough for a small 4x4 and think lots of problems are due t company being in poor financial shape before Hundai took over ( hear news about Toy -being involved now ) ,but I had a Jeep Cherokee that fell apart all at one time after being in the shop almost every month
for five years so go figure it out ! My 81 toy made about 500k but had no shocks -floor--
was 70% bondo --seat belts rusted off --no air -- but did 80mph untill the frame went ! :crying: :crying: Fairwell old friend --- shoulda stripped it

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have replaced numerous parts on my 98 sportage 4 wheel drive. it has 80,000 mi on it. some things that have been replaced are the radiator, the mass air flow sensor, the exhaust system, the alternater wire, the cat convert., and the in take manifold piping. Now i have a nasty anitfreeze small coming from the vents even when closed and when the heat is on or off. I also smell it sometimes outside the car. I have had the car checked for leaks and drips and nothing! Cannot get rid of the smell. My mechanic also said there is nothign wrong with the heater core. ANyone with help please send

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '98 Kia, the issues were:

1) Stalls at stop light
2) Runs Rough (at idle)
3) Idles high at times
4) No pickup power from stop light

I changed nearly everything and it turned out that Kia forgot to tell everyone there is an issue with the connectors between the TPS(Throttle position sensor) sensor and the MAS (mass air flow sensor). It seemed the car had a mind of its own!! The connectors get corroded and after time start sending the wrong information back to the computer on board. I got tired of cleaning them all the time(because the issue comes back after 6 to 9 months). I soldered the wires right to the sensor. I caution, however, if you do that that you buy an extra sensor and KEEP the connectors for the MAS and TPS on the wiring harness or in a safe place. You can't just buy the connectors by themselves unfortunately as Kia sells only the wiring harness(which is over $500).

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts