Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 sportage starts fine and idles smoothly. When I rev the engine in park, it misses, similar to when older carbuerated vehicles would get water in the float bowl. During acceleration, it misses badly, and even sputters or pops slightly. I thought maybe a cylinder wasn't firing. I pulled the plugs and inspected them and they all appeared to be burning cleanly. No black residue or carbon. Nice clean looking electrodes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since it idles smooth and the plugs look good, I don't think there is a cylinder missing. Which leads me to think that the misfire and rough running is somehow related to fuel mixture. Anyone have any ideas? I haven't checked the fuel filter? Could this be the culprit? How about fuel pressure? How sensitive is the fuel injection system to fuel pressure, or drop in pressure? Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have happen before. (97sportage)
there are some oil inside the cap of plug socket.
You can easily pull it out and there have fuse, hidding inside the rubbercap (look like normal fuse of home three pin plug). I found some oil there and clean it up.
After that it run smootly without missfire even reverse till now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to do a follow up post and extend a thank you to AxeMan and 1fastkia for their assistance. At AxeMan's recommendation, I went to Autozone and they downloaded the check engine light code. The code was P0303....which according to them is "cylinder #3 misfire". Based on that, I changed the spark plugs and got a slight improvement. I then replaced both spark plug wires and the problem was solved. No more misfire. Most likely, only the plug wire to #3 was bad, but they aren't sold individually, so I bought the set. Anyway, I'd like to extend thanks to both AxeMan and 1fastkia for their assistance.

btw, through this whole saga, I did discover that the valve cover was leaking oil onto the top of the engine block.....the oil was collecting in the depression at plug #4 and the rubber plug cap was half way submerged in oil. Anyway, I was able to pull the valve cover and replace the gasket which did stop the leak. However, what I saw under the valve cover is what concerns me. There were heavy deposits of engine sludge around the camshaft and in the cavities which are exposed when the cover is removed. Yes, I was very deliquent in routine oil changes and now I see the consequences. Still, everything seems to be getting lubricated so I didn't try to start scraping and disturbing the stuff. So my question to anyone is.....can this sludge be cleaned by flushing the engine with a solvent, or, will it take tearing the engine apart to properly clean it? Thanks for any help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts