Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok we had a good amount of snow last night about 6inches'.

while it goes decent in it with 2wd because of good snow tires in back, i tried putting it in 4wd because it sliding a good bit,

i went out and put the hubs on lock and put the shifter in 4h which the light comes on, and it doesn't make a difference and doesn't feel like its in 4x4' i even looked out the window when im pushing the gas hard and the front wheels doesn't spin well they do spin normal but not skiding.

all i see is the back wheels spinning and sliding..

now i know this year should have auto hubs but i guess who own it before put manuals on.

what could be the problem?

·
Registered
1998 Sportage 4x4
25 Posts
First with vehicle in park on ground lock both hubs and try to rotate each front axle if either one rotates you have located the nonfunctioning hub. Remove locking hub from vehicle and rotate to locked position, the splined part inside the hub that fits over the axle should not rotate freely inside the hub with it locked, and should rotate freely when hub is unlocked. These hubs seem to corrode inside and it can prevent them from locking. If necessary disasseble hubs and use a "LIGHT" grease for reassembly after cleaning. Using a heavy grease may prevent them from locking in extreme cold temps. If both hubs lock and unlock normally, while hubs are off check to make sure that locking rings and washer on ends of axle's are inplace in the locking groove and axles are secure with no inboard movement. If that all checks out replace hubs on vehicle (in locked position) and place transfer case in 4WD you shouldnt be able to turn either front axle or front drive shaft if you can the problem is in the transfer case.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok i just got it checked out, And they said the 4wd is working because all 4 wheels is moving on a lift, But they said its not working as it should, And said the vac lines are all cracked...

I thought manual locking hubs on 98 and up don't have vac lines? They wanted like 400 too fix them.. But we told them too let it go because a family member suppose too do it them self for cheap cause he works in a place.

But should it have vac lines?

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
No VAC lines required, the hubs need service...

Read the instructions on a previous thread... Philip

·
Registered
118 Posts
more than likely one of the hubs or both are not locking in all the way. lock them in and reach behind the tire and see if you can spin the cv shaft. make sure the tcase is in 2wd first. If they spin then your hub is not locking in. If it doesnt turn that one is locked in. check the other one. I would bet one or both are not working. If they dont work you will have to tear them completely apart and clean them and then put some grease in there. just dont put too much in there and not a grease that is super thick either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts