Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 SPORTAGE LOSS OF POWER / ACCELERATION
I know this may be discussed here before but none had a single solution to this.
I bought the car used few months ago with 100,000 miles.
No serious problems when i get it.
1000 miles later steering pump belt broke and mechanic suggest to change all belts including timing belt. We did that and everything was fine for a while other than some leak of steering fluid that fixed with a special steering fluid.

A couple of months later i had misfiring problems, rough running engine and decide to start with the obvious and replaced all spark plugs. I found oil in a couple of plugs holes probably of a leaking head gasket.
(I drove the car for many miles with the problem since i didn't have any time to fix it. Also i saw that under body catalytic converter was glowing orange after a few miles trip , i guess that normal with unburnt gas)

With new plugs (i did not adjust the gap to be honest) problem solved 95% and still had some engine hesitation at low (below 2300)rpm but no codes..

One day i was driving back to home and i find out i have loss of power.
RPM can't go over 4500 in first gear, 4000+ in second, 3000 in 3rd or 4th etc.
On Neutral it rev up good to 6500rpm. Up hill is a nightmare, downhill is going good (lol). I had a code which is p0422 for low converter efficiency...
Engine acts like to trail a locomotive and it sound like it suffer when i try to accelerate more than 3000rpm. Also consumes a lot of fuel (30% more i say)
Solutions i found here are:
1. Hood insulation blocking ram air input issue(i did cut it , Wasn't that )
2. Timing belt (I replaced it few months ago , it may jumped a teeth ? Can i check it easy without removing half of the engine?)
3. Catalytic converter clogged (which one or both? )
4. Any of the air intake sensors (MAF IAT etc but have no codes for any of them)
5. Other?

Any help is appreciated since i don;t want to replace any valuable parts with no reason.
Thanks
Thanos

·
Registered
5 Posts
Loss of power

I have a '98 and if I get any gas with ethanol, it cause all manor of trouble but it usually lights the check engine light.
The other thing which I hate to mention is the cat converters. I had to replace one a few years ago. I was told it was because of some addative I used in the gas.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2002 Sportage Loss of Power/Accelerations

Have experienced the same just in the past few days. Was planning on getting it into the shop day after tomorrow but it appears to have blown a head gasket this afternoon. Will know more in a day or two and will keep you posted on what I learn. Initially I thought about changing plugs, timing belt, etc but over the weekend the problems struck me as being similar to head gasket problems I've had on other cars.....now this. Will let you more later.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Oil in the plug valley isn't a bad head gasket, it's a bad valve cover gasket. You can change this out yourself for $20. Not a problem. While I was in there, I changed plugs and coils and haven't had a misfire problem since then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2000 Kia Sportage

I have a 2000 Kia Sportage and for some reason it doesnt want to go over 40. I changed the spark plugs, fuel filter and air filter but there is no change..... Can anyone help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
More than likely the problem lies with your fuel pressure regulator. It is attached to the end of your fuel rail with two 10mm bolts and a small vacum line at the top. Symptoms of failed/failing FPR poor fuel economy, stalling after initial start, no start, loss of power. Cost about $38.00 from autozone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts