Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
started up yesterday to 3000 rpms instead of my usual 1200 rpms. Also, it was shifting at about 2800 rpms into each gear instead of the usual 2000-2200. Why would it reving so high, never did before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The CEL came on when I got up to 45mph. I have a 98 Sportage 4X4 AT.
Thanks!
chris

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Greetings,

It could be illegal air entering the air intake system (past the MAF -> throttle body), a vacuum leak, a sticking/bad IAC valve, dirty throttle body/plates.. Or a bad PCV valve,

Recommend inspecting the air intake system, cleaning the IAC valve and throttle body plates w/ Carb cleaner,

The MAF w/ (CRC-Brand) MAF cleaner,

*Inspecting all vacuum hoses / ports on the Intake Manifold to make sure each hose is secure, or port is properly capped,

Inspecting & cleaning or replacing the PCV valve as needed, checking the hose between the valve and the Intake Manifold also..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CEL Code

Hooked up my code reader/scanner and it came up with only one. It was a P0101. Had time to put in a new air filter (old one was completely dark gray/black), cleaned out the IAC valve and checked all ports/hoses. The throttle plates were cleaned out about 3 weeks ago when a new MAF was installed. It does look like I need a new PVC valve which I ordered today.
thanks for the advice GottaCruise!
Chris
ps--this is my first Kia, I have been driving Suzuki's since my 88 Samurai.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally found the culprit!!!

Hi,
still had a very high idle (2000-2200rmp) problem until this morning. Unloaded a can of mass air flow cleaner over all hoses to check for leaks. Nothing in the front, nothing on the bottom, nothing behind valve cover but finally a drop to 800rmps. There was a very small (half inch) hose behind the upper intake manifold below the large hose on top back. it was cracking and had a screw put into the one end. Replaced with a rubber vacuum cap, started car back up and idles at 800 rpm. FINALLY after 2 weeks, I hope the problem is solved...
thanks for all the help,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,238 Posts
Hi,
still had a very high idle (2000-2200rmp) problem until this morning. Unloaded a can of mass air flow cleaner over all hoses to check for leaks. Nothing in the front, nothing on the bottom, nothing behind valve cover but finally a drop to 800rmps. There was a very small (half inch) hose behind the upper intake manifold below the large hose on top back. it was cracking and had a screw put into the one end. Replaced with a rubber vacuum cap, started car back up and idles at 800 rpm. FINALLY after 2 weeks, I hope the problem is solved...
thanks for all the help,
Chris
Good to hear that you got it sorted and thanks for reporting back.

Was it the rubber caps mentioned in this thread? -
http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/49048-2000-sportage-rough-idle-after-warmed.html

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/45368-pix-mi-diesel-paul.html

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,238 Posts
Hi Ron1004,

it was the vacuum cap in the second thread that you posted. I attached the picture that points it out. I am not sure as to what it was for as this is my first Kia.
thanks!
Chris
It's a vacuum port used on other models/options and just needs to have a good blanking plug sealing off that port.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Greetings 98Sportageck,

Great job on the diagnostics, congrats on the repair.

Greetings ron1004,

Thanks for posting those links in the thread - us 'newbies' here sometimes forget there is a wealth of info. posted on the forum: I'm sure those threads and detailed pics will help out other new Sporty owners, plus it gives a great link to refer back to for future posts..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
Congrats:

Remember those port make an excellent connection point for a vacuum gauge when further diagnostics is required... Philip

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
Hi Ron1004,

it was the vacuum cap in the second thread that you posted. I attached the picture that points it out. I am not sure as to what it was for as this is my first Kia.
thanks!
Chris
Woohoo for the pic.:) I had the high idle problem start last night after changing my battery. I was 100% sure that what ever the problem was had the be related to the battery change.

The piece of hose was so brittle it snapped right off. I had a pack of caps I bought when I replaced the other cap on the port in the center of the upper intake. All back to normal now.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts