Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 kia sportage will not start. First changed fuel pump, no start, change fuel pump relay, started and ran for a week and then stop and will not start again.
Used starter fluid, got it started, ran until starter fluid cleared out. Have spark, good engine and fuel pump relays, good timing belt, good crank and cam sensors. Checked and cleaned connections throughout engine. Fuel pump fuse no power in on mode, no power getting to the fuel pump. Can jump fuel pump relay and power will go to the fuel pump and fuse, pump runs. Checked continuity on as many wires as I can, still have not found reason for not start.
:confused:

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
In a no run situation, the power relay to pump only runs for 2-3 sec (prime mode).
As the engine starts with test fuel, this defines problem to be on fuel side.
these are the diagnostic steps..
  • Full fuel pressure test
  • Injector test (noid light or oscilloscope)
....Philip

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too much fun!!

Thank you for responding. Determined that the injectors are not getting ground signal to the injectors, used test light on injectors. Will trace line back from injectors to ecu, to see if wire good, I do not know what to do next if they are good.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
I believe you have a timing problem...

How many miles on the engine/car?

You said "Determined that the injectors are not getting ground signal to the injectors, used test light on injectors"... The ECM fires the injectors (grounds them to fire with a quick pulse) WHEN there are signals coming from the crank and cam sensors AND they are in sync (time) with each other..

The rail may still be charged (pressurized with fuel).The ECM will turn off the fuel pump UNTIL the pressure drops (injectors fire) If the crank and cam sensors are out of time the injectors WON'T fire and the fuel pressure will remain in the rail and the fuel pump won't be told to run UNTIL that pressure drops.

You say good cam and crank sensors...Are there signals (pulses) from both?
Have you replaced them? How do you know they are good?

Check the ground wires (return lines) on them. Ground problems are common on older KIAs.

I see no comment about the timing belt....The timing "if" the belt looses a few teeth can slip... AGAIN causing the cam and crank sensors to be out of time with each other ...the ECM will NOT fire the injectors if the sensors are out of time... It may be just slightly out of time BUT just enough to allow the plugs to fire being close to the proper timing.
This engine is a non-interference type so a slipped belt won't damage the valves or pistons but will cause timing problems.

I agree with Philip on the fuel pressure test...That will tell you if the rail is pressurized and rule out that as a problem.
Dave

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Thank you for responding. Determined that the injectors are not getting ground signal to the injectors, used test light on injectors. Will trace line back from injectors to ecu, to see if wire good, I do not know what to do next if they are good.
I would be careful poking around with test light and/or jumpers.... the injectors and ECU drivers do not do well with stray electricity.
Use a noid or scope to check these circuits..... Philip

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
checked continuity of wire going from injector to ecu. no problem. So what I have is the ecu not telling the injector to work. I can start it with starter fluid, and it runs for a short time, so I thought my spark and timing was fine. I have already changed the cam shaft sensor. Timing belt visually looks fine. Is there a fuel line pressure sensor that is tell the ecu not to send pulses to the injector?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
"If" the timing is "off" by just a little the ECM will not fire the injectors BUT will fire the plugs. The engine will run on the starter fluid "if" the timing is only off by a little bit.
I would also suggest checking the shear pin (woodriff) on the crank pulley...They can deform enough to allow the timing to change but not enough to be visable without the crank pulley being removed.
Have you checked the physical timing marks on the crank and cam pulleys?
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would the fuel tank pressure sensor prevent the ecu from sending signal to the injectors?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is 5 v going into the fuel tank pressure sensor and 2.5 v going back to the ecm, so I guess that is good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"If" the timing is "off" by just a little the ECM will not fire the injectors BUT will fire the plugs. The engine will run on the starter fluid "if" the timing is only off by a little bit.
I would also suggest checking the shear pin (woodriff) on the crank pulley...They can deform enough to allow the timing to change but not enough to be visable without the crank pulley being removed.
Have you checked the physical timing marks on the crank and cam pulleys?
Dave
This car got filled up with gas ,drove less then a mile, park and truned off normally, ran normally. And then just did not start. If the timing was off, I would think that there would have been signs of a problem before a sudden, not start, That why I thought electrical.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
This car got filled up with gas ,drove less then a mile, park and truned off normally, ran normally. And then just did not start. If the timing was off, I would think that there would have been signs of a problem before a sudden, not start, That why I thought electrical.
I have heard comment akin to this so often.

Responding to "man down", diagnose heart failure, comment from friends and family, "no cant be, he was so healthy!!!"

Same goes for any mechanical engine.....

Key is to follow proper diagnostic procedures first.
  • Check engine integrity
  • Check spark
  • Check fuel

NO guessing!!..Philip

1 - 11 of 11 Posts