Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently it seems that my sportage is working harder than usual. I usually do 65MPH on my way to work and my RPMS have been right around 3000rpm. about a 6 moths ago I remember them in the 2500 range. Also I've noticed when I turn the vehicle off what seems to be a dripping noise underneath the truck. I looked extensively without putting it on a lift and saw no signs of oil or anything leaking. A year ago I had the 60,000 mile check up and I just recently changed the oil and filter at 72,000 for the 3rd time since the check up. Is 3000 rpms normal for that speed? and does anyone have an idea what that dripping noise is? I only hope the head gasket isn't going.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Is your Sportage stick shift or automatic? If it's an automatic are you sure it's shifting into overdrive? If it isn't that would explain the higher RPM readings. Don't recall what my Sportage tachs at 65 MPH but I do know it tachs at just about 3600 RPM at 75 MPH. But I have a 5 speed stick. So 3000 RPM at 65 MPH does sound a little high.

If it is an automatic and you confirmed it's not shifting into overdrive the usual cause is the ECM's inability to read the engine coolant temperature. If it doesn't sense a temp above 155 degrees F it won't allow the transmission to shift into overdrive. But I would expect it to throw a check engine light too. Are you getting check engine lights?

Check the 2 wire temperature sensor on the right side of the thermostat housing if in fact what I stated above is happening. Either the electrical connector is corroded or the sensor is bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by Axe Man@Jan 6 2005, 08:40 PM
Is your Sportage stick shift or automatic? If it's an automatic are you sure it's shifting into overdrive? If it isn't that would explain the higher RPM readings. Don't recall what my Sportage tachs at 65 MPH but I do know it tachs at just about 3600 RPM at 75 MPH. But I have a 5 speed stick. So 3000 RPM at 65 MPH does sound a little high.

If it is an automatic and you confirmed it's not shifting into overdrive the usual cause is the ECM's inability to read the engine coolant temperature. If it doesn't sense a temp above 155 degrees F it won't allow the transmission to shift into overdrive. But I would expect it to throw a check engine light too. Are you getting check engine lights?

Check the 2 wire temperature sensor on the right side of the thermostat housing if in fact what I stated above is happening. Either the electrical connector is corroded or the sensor is bad.
At what speed should the automatic shift into overdrive? And should the temperture sensor connector be direct soldered too? The cat.convert. could be cooling down after shut off. Kinda sounds like dripping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply axeman. I have an automatic and I do not have a check engine light. you commented that 65mph was 3000 rpms on your stick is that high for an automatic. Thanks.

Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts