Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Kia Sephia LS 1.8L Manual 5-Speed
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 kia sephia ls 1.8L manual

Kind of hard to explain but ill do my best. I took a turn a little hard and my charge and fuel light came on then went back off. Then its like the alternator was overcharging because all of my lights got brighter (also low beams were like the high and the high beams shut the headlighs off)

now its sputtering on accelleration (in general really) and i have to pump the gas pedal to get the low rpms to the high when accelerating, when the gas pedal is held in one spot (to maintain speed) it slows down and catches its self and speeds back up.
Ive replaced
-alternator
-battery
-fuel filter

I heard that it might be an extra ground for the alternator but i dont know where to look

·
Registered
1997 Kia Sephia LS 1.8L Manual 5-Speed
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The charge and fuel light come on when all the lights get brighter and shut off when they when they return to normal and alternator created whirring noise

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,789 Posts
Welcome!

Fuel pump might be Damaged, I Kindly suggest you to do a Test for Pressure / Sustained Pressure at the fuel rail; ask a mechanic shop to test it if you can't do it.

Also check if the pressure is maintained after shutting off the engine, otherwise the Check valve has gone...

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,789 Posts
This thread's main question / title is:

Eamon3 said:
97 sephia running rough
So, I thought that you already fixed the Alternator problem.

Ive replaced
-alternator
-battery
-fuel filter
What about the alternator overcharging?
An overcharging alternator is like a Supernova Star, it delivers the rest of the energy that it could, in a Blast, before Dying; so if you have not fixed that first, things on the electrical system are about to be fried, then the car will left you stranded without electrical power, with a dead alternator = dead battery; so... Maybe your replacement alternator is Bad.

If you know that the Alternator is Bad, get it Fixed or Replaced, at least with a known good unit from a junk yard; then Address the rest of the problems.

Kind Regards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts