Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ongoing intermittent problem with the check engine light coming on, and was told that it is due to a bad oxygen sensor. I will come on for a few days or a week and go out. This has gone on for about a year. My mechanic said it is not a cheap to fix mostly due to cost of labor. I would like to see if I can locate parts and do it myself, or if this is something better left to the experts. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1996 Kia Sephia GS
120 Posts
Whats the check engine light code?

Upper or lower 02 sensor? Upper is about a 3 minutes job if you run into trouble on a 1996. I would think it'd be just about as easy on a 97.

The lower I am not sure, someone else will chime in. I have never had to replace one of those yet. If either of the 02 sensors would cost more labor charges its probably the lower.

All you need is a wrench and a 02 socket, sold at most auto parts stores for about 10 bucks.(just the socket) It just has a slit cut out of the side of the socket so you have somewhere to put the wires when removing the 02 sensor.

Have you checked your cat to be sure you need 02 sensors? Most muffler shops will do a freebie test for back pressure and it only takes a minute.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts