Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to these forums. Hello from Sacramento, CA.

I bought a 96 Sportage a few months back. Done major repairs to it. Timing belt, water pump, O2 sensors, catalytic converter, AC belt, oil change, new radiator hoses, air filter, etc etc...the list goes on and on.

After all these repairs to get it to pass smog, the monitors won't run!

Pick N Pull said it was compatible with a 97 Sportage ECM...so I bought one. They were sort of right. It works okay and ran two of my monitors, but throws codes for EVAP things that I don't have.

Here's my problem. Nobody around has the 96 ECM I need (KO4M model). I wish I knew someone who had one so I could borrow theirs...

Dealer wants $1,200, eBay wants $200.

I'm already into this car about $1,400...I don't want to spend more.

What choices do I have? Will a 96 Automatic ECM work for my 96 Manual? A pick N pull about 50 miles away has a 96 sportage. Sadly nobody local does.

P.S, after this car passes smog, what do you think I could get for it on Craigslist? Will it sell easily?

It's a 1996 Kia Sportage 5-speed, 4x4, Red, with 166K miles. I installed new carpet & waxed/buffed it...what should I list it up for?

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

You put a lot of work into the vehicle, so for the $150 or so to get the (correct) ECM - I'd keep the Sportage, and try:

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

when the results come up, use the (Search) function in your web browser to locate matches for: k04m ..

Does the pick-n-pull offer any type of return? I'd call them and ask, worse they can say is "No", or just list the incompatible model up on eBay, or here in the "for-sale" section of this site.

(I saw some matches for your ECM on car-part.com, at $130.00 or less, minus shipping costs, fyi.)

--
If you want to, post up the codes you are getting: there are more than a few members here w/ older 1st-gen Sporty's who may be able to help..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

You put a lot of work into the vehicle, so for the $150 or so to get the (correct) ECM - I'd keep the Sportage, and try:

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

when the results come up, use the (Search) function in your web browser to locate matches for: k04m ..

Does the pick-n-pull offer any type of return? I'd call them and ask, worse they can say is "No", or just list the incompatible model up on eBay, or here in the "for-sale" section of this site.

(I saw some matches for your ECM on car-part.com, at $130.00 or less, minus shipping costs, fyi.)

--
If you want to, post up the codes you are getting: there are more than a few members here w/ older 1st-gen Sporty's who may be able to help..

Regards,
GottaCruise
I'd like to find the correct ECM in a junk yard if I can. The more money I save, the better. The one I have works okay, just won't set the monitors.

Pick N Pull will offer me store credit/exchange for correct ECM. It's just a matter of finding the right model number. No P&P within 30 miles of me has a 96 Sportage.

The codes are PO446 & PO453, which I've found to be related to the incorrect ECM, as everything for my EVAP system looks good.

I bought the Sportage in hopes to repair it & sell it for some profit. With around $1,500 invested (after I buy an ECM), is that possible anymore? This car has taken more work then I originally had thought.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I'd like to find the correct ECM in a junk yard if I can. The more money I save, the better. The one I have works okay, just won't set the monitors.

Pick N Pull will offer me store credit/exchange for correct ECM. It's just a matter of finding the right model number. No P&P within 30 miles of me has a 96 Sportage.

The codes are PO446 & PO453, which I've found to be related to the incorrect ECM, as everything for my EVAP system looks good.

I bought the Sportage in hopes to repair it & sell it for some profit. With around $1,500 invested (after I buy an ECM), is that possible anymore? This car has taken more work then I originally had thought.
I'd be checking the electrical connector on the Canister Close Valve - per this post:

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/73222-p0446-2002-kia-sportage.html

poster lbufdis had to rewire the CCV connector to get rid of the P0446 code.

DTC code P0453 is also related:

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/30692-1998-kia-sportage.html

--
re: recouping investment, if the frame is solid and the body / interior are in very good -> excellent shape, you should be able to recoup your investment with a modest profit.

if you haven't already, signup at the kiatechinfo website (see my sig.) using Internet Explorer (see reqs. on main page) to access the [Service Info] for your model year Sporty..

If those are the only (2) codes you are getting, I'd try to diagnose -> address those specific codes first,

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be checking the electrical connector on the Canister Close Valve - per this post:

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/73222-p0446-2002-kia-sportage.html

poster lbufdis had to rewire the CCV connector to get rid of the P0446 code.

DTC code P0453 is also related:

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/30692-1998-kia-sportage.html

--
re: recouping investment, if the frame is solid and the body / interior are in very good -> excellent shape, you should be able to recoup your investment with a modest profit.

if you haven't already, signup at the kiatechinfo website (see my sig.) using Internet Explorer (see reqs. on main page) to access the [Service Info] for your model year Sporty..

If those are the only (2) codes you are getting, I'd try to diagnose -> address those specific codes first,

Hope this helps.
Checked the connector for cut wires/voltage, everything checks out okay.

When I plug the original ECM back in, I get no check engine light/normal status on everything. When I plug the 97 ECM in, I get codes. Just leads me to believe its the ECM reading things as it should be on a 97 and not an actual problem. But I'm not exactly sure.

I'll read up on it though & double check my connectors.

So worst case I'll lose a little bit/make my money back out of it? That's good news for me.

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
196 Posts
As Gottacruise stated. Those codes seem to be related to the EVAP system. I use the KISS principle. Looks can be deceiving. You need to do some evap testing and troubleshooting. EVAP code would not be uncommon for a 96. ECM is not a common replacement part. Cheers...

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I checked the ETM schematics for both the 96 and 97 Sporty's -

Both use ECM pin 18 as input for the Canister Close Valve,
Both use pin 76 for the Fuel Tank Pressure sensor input.

Fuel tank pressure sensor:
---
Establish that (+5) volts are present at the yellow/green wire at the fuel tank pressure sensor connector,

Locate the common Fuel Pump ground ring and clean that ground point: under the cargo hatch access carpet flap, tilt the rear seats forward to expose the flap / the fuel pump hatch..

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts