Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum and to the sportage. I'm about to pick up a 96 2wd manual transmission Sportage and I was hoping to have a question or two answered if you can.
The tranny has been removed and the current owner has it in the back hatch. He says it was going bad as it didn't have 2nd gear any longer and decided to have it replaced. Long story short, he didn't. He decided to sell her all together.
My question is, would I come out ahead if I had the tranny rebuilt or should I just opt for a new one? I've only looked online and it seems a new/rebuilt with shipping included runs about 800 bucks.
Also, he says the timing has slipped a bit on the engine. It didn't break the belt, so hopefully the valves were not destroyed by the pistons (if it is infact a non-interference engine). But the tranny issue is my current delema.
Any help or answers are greately appreciated.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Greetings,

If you know of a good qualified transmission rebuilder in your area, you are ahead of the game, if not, ask around at the local auto parts stores and independent mechanic shops: they can usually point you in the right direction locally,

$800 for a certified, rebuilt trans with warranty is a good price - I'd make sure the warranty is at least 1 year, regardless of mileage, not "1 year or 15,000 miles".. And would get the -complete- procedure for warranty replacement prior to purchase, so you know -exactly- what is involved / what is honored in the event of needing it. Ask as many questions as necessary until you are comfortable with the purchase.

The bottom line is which is going to be less expensive: prepare to spend at least $200 or so if you decide to take the trans. into a shop to have examined for potential rebuild (examination / teardown fee), then add potential parts+labor.

--
Personally I'd concentrate on getting the motor Q/A'd first: if the motor is bad, the transmission will be a large, expensive paper weight. ( I don't know your skill level, so if you've already deemed the engine good, apologies. )

Your other option is to find a (used) tranny from a local salvage yard in your area, depending on mileage/condition it could be less than 1/2 the cost of the rebuilt..

Other sources:
--
car-part.com
craigslist.org

Hope the info helps.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch for the reply GottaCruise. Trannys aren't my thing, but i'm brave enough to tackle a timing belt...I think. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have never purchased a new vehicle. They're usually projects and as angry as i get wrenching on them, i still take comfort and pride in knowing i sorta brought it back to life.
My latest franken-build is an 87 s10 with a 91 blazer engine swap. Been driving her for 5 years now and she's been good to me, but she's starting to hint for retirement. I'm a shade tree guy, learn as I go, but once i looked at youtube and saw how complex the average transmission is, i decided having someone else scratch their head may be money better spent.
Again, thanks for the input and if anyone wants to add more, please do. I need all the knowledge I can get.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts