Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1995 kia sportage
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new here so i wanna start by saying thanks in advance for any advice .
started missing so i started by checking and replacing the timing belt . with no book was a bit of a challege ( someone had replaced the belt before and taken the cam gear off of the exhuste side and had put it on upside down so both cams line up on e :mad: insted of I & E ) so i set up # 1 on top , lined up my valves and set the time . all marks line up (now) . still a miss . next i replaced the coil packs . no luck still a miss. checked and cleaned all connections fusebox , ecu , even added extra ground cables to the battery , engine , and ecu grounding bolt . nothing ... replaced both engine bay relays ...no better... replaced camshaft sensor .still
nothing :confused:. cranks fine idles fine till you try to give it gas backfires threw the intake like it is out of time or the timing is off .
iv tested all points on the car i have perfect voltage :puzzled:
so if anyone knows what iv over looked please im just a backyard kinda mechanic i could really use the help.
in the last 6 months iv replaced fuel pump ,filter,regulator,lines, idle control valve,crank sensor,o2 sensor .

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
You are doing well, however the engine will never run until it is properly timed...

Backfire is an indicator that the intake valves are retarded.. or the ignition is advanced...

You should first verify static engine timing.

Is the crank snout in perfect condition, no sheared key way..?? Philip

·
Registered
1995 kia sportage
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i brought # 1 cylinder to top dead center set the valves . valves set at
I= 9 oclock & E=3 oclock . so the exhaust valve opens on the down stroke and the intake opens on the compression stroke . both valves are closed at top dead center . like said im not a true machanic but i believe this is right if the front cylinder is the # 1 in firing order

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
I= 9 oclock & E=3 oclock . so the exhaust valve opens on the down stroke and the intake opens on the compression stroke . both valves are closed at top dead center . like said im not a true machanic but i believe this is right if the front cylinder is the # 1 in firing order
Please clarify this statement! Roll the engine by hand and watch the valves...

TDC was verified by mark on pulley or actual visual in spark hole, or crank snout position??

Very important difference..

OK, the valves are closed TDC, BUT, is that on the exhaust or compression stroke?? >>>Philip

·
Registered
Kia Sportage A/T 4WD 1997
91 Posts
I think the highlighted part is where the problem is...

·
Registered
1995 kia sportage
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok im about to really show my age and ignorance how do you static time this engine (2.0 doc) :confused: the cam positition sensor has no adjustment ? im use to working with distributors :(

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
ok im about to really show my age and ignorance how do you static time this engine (2.0 doc) :confused: the cam positition sensor has no adjustment ? im use to working with distributors :(
Static engine timing is all to do with when the valves open and close in relation to the TDC of the piston, this is accomplished by setting the cam/cams in relation to the crank (static).

The CaM position sensor is connected to the CAM and signals the TDC positions to the ECM (electronically), The ECM adjusts the ignition (advance/retard), based on data collected from several sensors...(load, Throttle position, fuel trim, O2 voltage, ECT, AIT, MAF and VSS)... Philip

·
Registered
1995 kia sportage
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Static engine timing is all to do with when the valves open and close in relation to the TDC of the piston, this is accomplished by setting the cam/cams in relation to the crank (static).

The CaM position sensor is connected to the CAM and signals the TDC positions to the ECM (electronically), The ECM adjusts the ignition (advance/retard), based on data collected from several sensors...(load, Throttle position, fuel trim, O2 voltage, ECT, AIT, MAF and VSS)... Philip
sorry i dont explain myself well i get that the ecm advances or retards the ignition what i guess im trying to figure out is if there is a way to manipulate the timing ( sorta like you would by turning the distributor back in the day ) the car idles almost perfect , it cant be that far off:confused: sorry for the newbieness. or is there a certain degree off tdc that the valves need to be set. like valves needing closed at say 8-10 degrees before or after tdc . or with this engine being a non-interferance engine is it posible its running 180 out :confused:

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
At 180* out of time (ignition), the engine would be at TDC (Exhaust), there would be no fuel enrichment and so the engine would not fire....

At TDC (Compression), the cylinder is loaded (Air/[email protected]/1), compressed and the valves (closed) are sitting on the CAM heels..... Philip

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
The engine timing is determined by the relative position of the CRANK cog and the CAM cogs.

If you are experiencing any backfire through the Throttle body, either the
  • intake CAM is retarded, or
  • you have a poorly seated valve....
You can test this aberration with a leak down test.... Philip

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 kia sportage
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The engine timing is determined by the relative position of the CRANK cog and the CAM cogs.

If you are experiencing any backfire through the Throttle body, either the
  • intake CAM is retarded, or
  • you have a poorly seated valve....
You can test this aberration with a leak down test.... Philip
i have done a compression test and between all 4 cylinders i only have 7 lbs of variance. so would you suggest turning the intake cam clockwise
1 notch at a time

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
i have done a compression test and between all 4 cylinders i only have 7 lbs of variance. so would you suggest turning the intake cam clockwise
1 notch at a time
I did not suggest a compression test, but since you have complete one, all plugs out, fully charged battery, WOT, ignition and fuel cut... what were the numbers??... I was more interested in the intake leakage....Philip

·
Registered
1995 kia sportage
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i know it wasnt what was suggested iv not had time to try the leak test yet but thought this might help i had done this last week before i tried replacing the cam position sensor
# 1 = 142
# 2 = 149
# 3 = 144
# 4 = 145

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Hi oscpitcrew,

Have you hooked up a vacuum gauge and checked reading at idle?
It should be 19-21 hg, steady at idle..

What you described above, re timing,

Cylinder #1 = front of the motor, with valve cover off: Intake cam lobe at 9 o'clock, Exhaust cam lobe at 3 o'clock, (pointing opposite each other and level w/ head), TDC verified by watching rise/fall through spark plug hole - I, E, and Crank pulley marks lined up, that all sounds correct.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts