Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 honda civic, 2000 honda civic, 04 mitsu, 78 GMC Jimmy, 95 full size chevy.... 95 Kia Sportage 2.0
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my son brought home his first car yesterday. Got it all on his own. 95 Sportage, 2.0, 4x4. Its pretty clean. He paid $200 bucks for it and looking at it today, i see why it was so cheap. Most of the motor is sitting in the backseat. The guy he bought it from "tried" to change the head gasket and failed. He "made" his own out of gasket paper. So needless to say i will spend the day pulling it back apart.
I have never worked on a Kia and when i went to my local parts store to get a book they told me they could get me one in about a week. I cant seem to find much info online as far a torque specs or setting the timing belt, aligning cams etc....
The genius that made his own head gasket reinstalled the head using the old bolts so those have to be changed but he also put the timing belt back on an i am assuming did not bring the crank or head to TDC. The tentioner is as tight as it will go and there is still about an inch of slack in the belt.
So any info as far as timing marks (cam), head bolt removal sequence or any other info would be a big help. Like i said, im just am old fart with a bucket of bolts and a bunch or pieces. Its like a big jigsaw puzzle.

·
Registered
08 Kia Rondo LX V6, 2000 Sportage 4X
6 Posts
Looks like you have a project. The head bolts are reuseable. The twin cam engine has a pin in the front of the cam. Both In and Ex sould be straight up when sprockets are put on.
Each one is interchangeable but have INT up on intake side and Ext up on exhaust. You can get a downloaded manual on Ebay for $7 or $8. It can be a pain when you really need a book leaning over the hood.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Everything you need to Know about KIAs...
kiatechinfo.com
To successfully get on and registered you will need the following...
1 A Windows computer (XP/Vista/7)
2 Internet Explorer (Ver 8 or higher)
3 Adobe SVG (scaled vector graphics) add-on program (to handle pictures/graphics)
4 A valid email address for them to send you a password.
5 Patients (a big one)... There is a moderate "learning curve" as not all things are where you logically think they should be...
There is electrical/mechanical/diagnostic/parts layouts/dis-assembly(reassembly)/and torque specs.....ALL for FREE!

If you "try" anything other than the above you will probably be doomed to failure..
No Macs...No Linux...No Chrome...No Firefox...No Safari..

The Sportage area of this forum is filled with all kinds of ideas/tips/cures/and owners to help also...
Good luck!
Dave

·
Registered
95 honda civic, 2000 honda civic, 04 mitsu, 78 GMC Jimmy, 95 full size chevy.... 95 Kia Sportage 2.0
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That is a start. I just got off the phone with my local Kia dealer who directed me to a publisher and said i can get a book for $85 bucks.Thats a little much so yeah i will look at the ebay route. I keep seeing some download stuff for this car but then the reviews are crappy. I will continue my search. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kiatechinfo.com may just be the ticket. Thanks Dave. And yeah, even in just the last 2 hours i have learned a lot about these Kia's and not all of it makes sense to me and the way i am used to doing things. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
You said "And yeah, even in just the last 2 hours i have learned a lot about these Kia's and not all of it makes sense to me and the way i am used to doing things."
That's why we are here! There is a great bunch of guys here waiting for questions and wanting to help...
Be sure to skim through the past posts on Sportages. For some reason very early Sportages are still sought and most still running...There is a love affair between man and this model car.
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got onto kiatechinfo (after trying 3 different computers) and found most of the info i need to make a go of this puzzle. The only thing i cant seem to find is the head bolt removal sequence. Outside and work towards the inside? Inside towards outside? Cris cross pattern? Anyone have any idea? I didnt see anything for the removal or install pattern, just the torque.

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
Removal, I would use outside -> inside, criss-cross pattern,

Install / torque, inside towards outside, pattern shown below from kiatechinfo website, 1995 model year, cylinder block repair procedures:

10 - 6 - 2 - 3 - 7
-o- -o- -o- -o-
9 - 5 - 1 - 4 - 8

Tighten in (2)-(3) stages to 62 ft./lbs. (84 N-m) final torque.

·
Registered
2000 Kia sportage 4x4 4dr
51 Posts
1995 should be a single overhead cam.
some are some are not...my 95 is a dohc.

good luck with you build,they are not hard to work on and are fun to work on and drive...and wheel pretty good in stock form...i like them so much that i recently bought another one and looking for more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A big thank you again to you guys. The head is finally off and some parts on order. Im not sure how to post a pic yet but as i said in my first post the guy my son bought this Sportage from "made" his own head gasket out of gasket paper. Needless to say, he cut out the cylinder holes (i think with scissors) and the holes for the head bolts.... and thats it! No water or oil jackets. I hope this is the only thing that he "fixed".

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts