Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Lots
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some work I went out to eat and on the way home I noticed the headlights were very dim. Odd. Put a voltmeter to the battery terminals and found a whopping 7.84v. This is the lowest voltage I have EVER seen on a car still running! Most die when the get below 12.

Today I find the culprit. Somehow the 80a alternator fuse is blown.

I try to pull it out. It wont budge. I look at pics on Rock Auto. They show a bolt in fuse. I work on it some more- NOTHING comes apart at that fuse!

Pulling and tugging, all I did was break off bits of the metal contacts. I suspect they are spot welded at the factory. The contacts the alternator/battery cables are bolted to become buss bars that go further in the fuse box, so they dont come out.

My fix? A generic bolt in 80a fuse from the parts store. The one I got was not as wide as the lugs in the fuse box. I flattened the edges and snipped out the ends of the holes and slid it in place. Started the car and got 14.5v of alternator POWER.

I'll post some pics later.

BTW- Since the car sees the alternator as working the battery light does NOT come on. In case someone is reading this later and thinks the light should be on if the battery isnt being charged. The charging voltage just cant get to the battery because of the bad fuse.

Someone else had this problem and nothing was posted for a fix, so I thought I would save someone a bad headache later.

-SP

·
Registered
Lots
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Job Photos

I expected the fuse to be a pull out type. As you can see the side contacts of the fuse could not/would not pull out and were destroyed. The housing did pull off the contacts intact!

This shows a generic fuse holder ready to bolt to the battery and alternator contacts.

Job done! New fuse is bolted to the fuse block.

-SP

·
Registered
1 Posts
Job Photos
-SP
I'm currently dealing with an issue with my alternator. Replaced it with a new one and not charging battery. So I went to remove fuse, like you did and it wouldn't come out. This was the only thing I could find online showing the actual fuse so I wanted to post even though this is 6 years old.

There are two little bolts underneath that hold the 80a fuse.

I made the mistake of buying the wrong fuse as well. I currently have the battery trickle charging, it's only 2 months old but was fully drained. BRAND NEW alternator installed, belt is tight. Wires seem fine. All fuses seemed good, 80a fuse was silvered instead of copper, not sure if blown but figured for $5 might as well resolve it now.

In the unlikely occurrence my new alternator really doesn't work I have another reman'd new alternator to install just in case.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,722 Posts
I'm currently dealing with an issue with my alternator. Replaced it with a new one and not charging battery. So I went to remove fuse, like you did and it wouldn't come out. This was the only thing I could find online showing the actual fuse so I wanted to post even though this is 6 years old.

There are two little bolts underneath that hold the 80a fuse.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts