Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio SR7
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am new to this site as I have only very recently bought my very 1st Kia. Bought my car 28th May 2012, collected it the following week. Car only had 10 miles on the clock, yet it was registered some 8 months before. Date of registration is 29th October 2011. Will my 7 year warranty start from when I bought it. Bit unfair if I lose out on 7 months warranty on a car that has barely moved all this time. Any answers greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento, 2015 Honda Pilot. 2004 Honda Element, 2013 Triumph Speedmaster
31 Posts
First off, welcome and congratulations on your new Kia. The start date for your warranty is what's called the "Date of First Service." From the Kia manual:

“Date of First Service” means the first date
the Kia Vehicle is delivered to the first retail
purchaser, is leased or is placed into service as a
company vehicle use (e.g., as a demonstrator, rental or fleet vehicle), whichever is earliest.

When it was registered, was that to another retail owner? If so, I think that is the date when the warranty would have started. That how it works in the US - maybe in Europe it's different?

·
Registered
Kia Rio SR7
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I bought the car, the dealer told me that the car had only arrived at the dealership a few days before I arrived. Told me it had been sitting at the Kia manufacturing plant since date of registration, which I found difficult to believe. Chances of me having the car for 7 years are slim to none but I always like to know where I stand with things like this.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Cee'd 2 - 124BHP 1.6petrol
560 Posts
I think its like Lance said, its the date of first service, however if it was registered 7 months before and not serviced until it arrived at the dealer then you might have a case for getting the warranty to be 7 years from arrival at dealer.

Its something that if you ask the Kia Customer Service UK, they are very helpful and respond quite quickly.

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
When I bought the car, the dealer told me that the car had only arrived at the dealership a few days before I arrived. Told me it had been sitting at the Kia manufacturing plant since date of registration, which I found difficult to believe. Chances of me having the car for 7 years are slim to none but I always like to know where I stand with things like this.
The excuse that the dealer gave of it sitting at the manufacturing plant for 7 months seems beyond belief! If the dealer is a registered Kia dealership, ask them to get a letter from the UK head office to confirm this. If they can't or will not their must be a shady reason.
Still, I'm sure you will enjoy the car and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Hi and welcome.

Date of registration is 29th October 2011.
Presumably this is UK registration?

Told me it had been sitting at the Kia manufacturing plant since date of registration, which I found difficult to believe.
If registered the car must have been in the UK.

It was probably obtained as a pool car and got parked at the far end of the car park. Cars at the near end of the car park are the ones that get the miles.

·
Registered
Kia Rio SR7
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replys. I took the advice of jeebowhite and asked the question directly to Kia. The man I spoke to was very helpful indeed. Didn't get the answer I was looking for but I can't really complain. Warranty starts from the day the car was registered. Feel like I have lost out on 7 months warranty but the chances of me having the same car for 6.5years are slim.

On another note, loving this forum! :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Glad to see that you managed to get a conclusive answer, it is a shame that you have lost out on some warranty, but hey, 6.5 years, even if you do keep the car that long, you have still got more than double the warranty most car manufacturers offer on a brand new car only, and you got the car brand new and I expect for a better than brand new price?

As for the forums, stick around its a great atmosphere, and we are all as committed to our motors, as we are to seeing the prices of the new Kia ranges falling ;) lol

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
Thanks for keeping us informed siakia, shame you didn't get your preferred answer, but hopefully you got a decent enough discount to make that 7 months' warranty negligible.

TBH my warranty won't last 7 years, as I'm driving about 19k/year, and will have to sell/trade while there's warranty left. I got my Pro' at 6 months old with 700 miles on clock, it's been a cracking little car with no hassles at all.

Hope you'll have a good few years of hassle free motoring mate :)

·
Registered
Kia Ceed Auto
1 Posts
I have just purchased a Ceed and have spent a bit of time with dealers and on the Kia web site. If the car was a Kia Approved vehicle and less than 18 months old it would have had its warranty restored to 7 years from the date of purchase. However there is no such thing as a free meal, especially with car dealers, so I guess this would have been reflected in the purchase price. My own vehicle is 60 reg and still has 5+ years warranty remaining which is plenty compared to a Focus which would have had a grudging 18months or so.

·
Registered
KIA C'eed SW2 ecodynamic
64 Posts
Love the Ceed sw2, don't love the support not received by KIA when it comes to the Franchise "Approved Used Cars". Bought our Ceed in Scotland with only 13800 miles. KIA touts

"Kia Approved Used cars are hand-picked according to stringent requirements. All are less than 18 months old and have covered less than 18,000 miles. So, rest assured your Kia Approved Used car is still in prime condition."

"Every Kia Approved Used car comes with a full service history, completed by qualified Kia Technicians and thoroughly valeted to the highest standards, making it look and feel like a brand new car"

"If for whatever reason you are not happy with your Approved Used Kia, you have up to 60 days or 1,000 miles to exchange your Approved Used Kia for another vehicle (subject to terms and conditions) This is twice as long as most other manufacturer’s programmes"

My hand picked car needed a front end alignment right off the lot, the ISG failed after driving 10 ft, next day traction control failed, found cracked storage trays in boot, leaves in dirty air filter, and the hood prop was a few threads from falling off the hood and then noticed that driver's door was not aligned properly and hit the locking post as well as sitting about a cm out from the body. Give the dealer its due, they attempted repairs but took 4 attempts in as many weeks until finally found brake pedal switch had an issue, some sort of sensor in the steering for center of road and replacing the battery to solve ISG issue. However, by this time we had lost faith in the quality control that this vehicle supposedly had, so we opted to exercise our option to turn it in and find another one.
The dealer was very understanding, and the General Manager did everything in his power to assist. We bought the car on 17 June and opted to swap on July 17th. The dealer had never done this before, so called KIA for assistance and it seemed at first, that they were eager to help.
It is now August 16th, and the issue is still unresolved. It is not as easy as KIA claims to get another car from another franchise, nor are too many dealers willing to release the cars. My Dealer has been given the run around and excuse after excuse. The one car that we did manage to get shipped up here from a dealer in England (again, refurbished by KIA themselves) arrived with the same problems. Alignment, dirty filter,dirty interior, plastics in boot that looked acid scarred and two different brands of tires on front and back, the car only had 9000 miles on it.
Now, after the list of nationally available approved Ceed SW2 has dwindled down to about 8, we finally found another that was not pre-sold. Today, the other dealer was willing to release the car to my dealer, and when KIA was contacted, the 2nd top North Scotland KIA Rep, had the audacity to tell my dealer they were not in a position to pay for the transport of a second vehicle, as the first one( yes the piece of crap from England>>>not slagging England)cost them 400.00 to transport. The only way he could get it for his customer would be to arrange to pay the transport himself.
Thank you ,KIA for making me feel like I bought a car that was as good as new, and thank you for ensuring that by using your own re-furbishment facility, that the same consistent quality was retained (crap)
I know that not all owners are going to have the same experience...this is just my story...so be aware..my issue still ongoing.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Wizypus, It really is a shame that you had such a bad experience. Unfortunately not all dealers are the same, not all will make a concerted effort. I hope that you dont lose faith overall in Kia, and that you do find a car worth keeping. Unfortunately I think their "feel like a brand new car" is more "as clean as a brand new car" but not fully serviced.

That is a sad story and I hope it gets resolved soon. You should contact Kia head office in the UK (I dont believe scotland have their own Head Office? but who knows!) and push for a resolution. Also I would (if it continues) report it further (perhaps look at contacting the likes of consumer focus / Citizens advice / trading standards / Financial Services Authority for further chasings). Any of the afore mentioned can and probably will exercise the right (on your behalf) to kick the relevant parties.

Unfortunately, the dealer is within his right of charging to transport the car, but if your own dealer was that good, they would cover the costs, or arrange transport to get the car to you. When I bought my Focus, I travelled to the midlands to get my car, turned up on the day and they screwed up. they sorted it out and invited me back, I told them that they can deliver, but they advised they would charge. I threatened to cancel the entire sale, leave them with the paperwork, and take my business elsewhere, and demanded they came and dropped the car off at my door. Eventually they agreed, and drove the car to me, and drove my old one back.

Because your contract is with your dealer, and not the one providing the new car, you really need to take this up with your dealer and give them a kick!

KennyG, I see what you mean, however they warranty / guarantee the parts that were made in the factory on that day, and will offer you seven years from first registration. As you say, compared to Focus, you get a lot less, and 5 years on a used car is as much as a brand new hyundai. It would be nice if the warranty extended, but a seven year warranty is an excellent attraction, no doubt!

·
Registered
KIA C'eed SW2 ecodynamic
64 Posts
Well, I must point out that on their site about the approved used cars the headers are 1) hand picked by KIA 2) perfect mechanical condition 3)and 1 year MOT test cover. 4) all cars come with a complete service history completed by a qualified KIA technician.
Now I know this will open up the argument that alignment and electronics is not considered mechanics, but they go hand in hand. It is also not the dealer charging the transport, it is KIA themselves. I have been talking to the UK north KIA rep D Jackson. He is the one that informed me that they have a facility that completely refurbishes the vehicles then ship them to the dealers. If the dealers get them and they do not meet the standards set by KIA they should fill the included form and return that to the refurb facility to get things taken care of. The first car I received looked almost immaculate, except for the broken storage tray in the boot. The tray would not normally be detected unless a thorough check was done, and I don't think the receiving dealer would assume they would have to check the filters after refurb from the "high" standard KIA facility. Now, the car that was sent up for the swap, obviously didn't have a refurbishment done, or a valet. The dealer I am dealing with is locating a car for me now, and I don't think the franchise should be absorbing the cost of transport, it should be KIA themselves as they tout the approved car and quality refurb, the dealer has no control on the refurb.
I absolutely love the ceed,minus the problems, so I will be sticking in until one is found, even if it means turning in the approved car and going thru the dealer and finding a 61 plate low mileage used car and just having the 6yrs left on the warranty. By no means will I let it stop there though.

·
Registered
KIA C'eed SW2 ecodynamic
64 Posts
approved used KIA benefits are bull

OK...have turned in the approved used KIA car back to the dealer, only had 16000 miles on it but still has problems. Due to the crappy customer service of KIA themselves, I have decided to buy a 61 plate from the dealer franchise supply instead. I don't get the 7 year renewed warranty, but I have 6 years anyway. The 61 plate is beautiful, only 4800 miles on it, immaculate top to bottom, all electrics work, alignment great, no steering column noises, and the breaks are great. The dealer refunded a big sum of money AND added rear parking sensors and added a full tank of diesel
This is the quality of car KIA should have sent from their approved supply at the start. Earlier, it was said my contract was with the dealer and they should pay for the second car being shipped. I would agree, if the cars were refurbished by the dealer and inspected by KIA to be sold as approved. KIA has their own refurb shop and do not allow dealers to pick cars and refurb them. KIA advertises on their site that they are hand picked and in perfect mechanical condition. Therefore, they are responsible to assist the dealer in rectifying the problems, but they don't. LOVING MY CEED SW2 Astral blue

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
wizypuss - really sorry to hear your troubles, but so glad you've managed a good solution with your dealer in the end. Sounds like the SW2 you've ended up in is a great motor, and of the expected quality.

I fully agree with your original course of action, neither cars were 'fully refurb'd to a new standard' as you would've expected from the blurb. Cheeky buggers.

With luck that's the end of your troubles, and the nearly new SW will serve you perfectly mate.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you're able to enjoy the positive aspects of our great bunch now :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys,

first post here...be gentle! :)
I've just put a deposit on a '08 pro_ceed 2.0l Diesel, I'm in Ireland so it's a UK import. I had a quick look online and on the forum but couldn't find many details on the approved used cars and what checks they undergo before being sold. The dealer is a 'platinum dealer' and was spouting on about all the checks they would do before I took it away.

Does anyone know exactly what they look for? Tires, brakes, timing belt etc.?! It has 55k Miles on the clock so would like to get the dealer to do the timing belt before taking it. I could only find the usual marketing guff about '88 checks' but wanted some more details!

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think in essence, they just do a "full" service and a "basic MOT". If there is anything glaringly wrong, its resolved, but if it doesnt look wrong in the first instance it probably wont be investigated too thoroughly.

I had a checklist in the car, I will see if I can dig it out of the user manual as that was the checklist of the company! as soon as I dig it out (probs be tomorrow now) then I will post up a copy of what they do...

·
Registered
KIA C'eed SW2 ecodynamic
64 Posts
There is an 88 point inspection they are supposed to do, but according to their sites, approved cars are 18mos old or less and have less than 18000 miles on them. I had shit for luck on mine, but the dealer did say that mine was the only one they ever had to try and swap out.
It does not seem that any of the dealers do a real road test, even mine admitted to that. But anything you find when test driving should be addressed. I suggest looking under the hood and taking the air filter out, as KIA sent up two with leaves and dirty manky air filters int them....not conducive to good fuel economy. check all you hidden plastic storage for any cracks, as they tend to over look that area. Pay attention to the steering when you test drive as the ceeds seem to have some issue with alignments

·
Banned
130 Posts
I have been suspended from Kia Owners Club Forum presumably because I criticize Kia & its 7 year warranty, Even Hyundai, a sister company sales manager says Hyundai warranty is far more inclusive than Kia's which has many exclusions. I have the New Ceed 2 auto diesel 1.6 and am very suprised to find that there is no instant engine temp. gauge it is tied up in the menu system ? In present warm weather there is a obnoxious smell from the plastics and I hope this will eventually disappear, another dislike is in certain light conditions there is excessive reflections from the dash in the windscreen. the car goes well enough and I am waiting to find out what the actual mpg will be when I fill up the tank and do the maths, I do not trust fuel displays.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts