Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 Door SX (Premium package)
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I reading my owner's manual right? I don't change the oil until 7,500 miles? I'll probably hit the 6 month mark before I get 7,500 miles and will change the oil regardless of the mileage. :confused:

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
I've always liked changing the original oil at 250 miles. Blackstone's always found high silicon and other stuff high in the first change. Then I change every 3750 just because the Koreans say I'm in an extreme environment.

But yup, every 7500.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX Sedan 2012 Acura TL Advanced, 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
26 Posts
I've always gotten the first oil change at 1000 miles. I allow for manufacturing sedimentation and lubrication. If you look at your oil it will be super dirty after 1000 miles. After that I change at 3500-5000 miles depending on time, weather and use on the engine (towing). I have never had an engine or transmission fail because I change the fluid a little more frequent. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
First oil change in our Cerato was at 15,000 km. Oil didn't look very dirty at 1000 km or at 10,000 km either. The car now has 35,000 km on the clock and no engine troubles or oil usage. Filter should take care of any rubbish that happens to be collected during the run-in period.

It seems to be a US custom to change oil early. It's a good idea to change oil early if it worries you and doesn't cost too much, either in time or money.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 // LX Clear White w/ Pwr Pkg
83 Posts
i did my first one at 5500 miles.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
just think how many million barrels of oil we would save if people would just follow the recommendation for oil changes by the manufacturers, instead of following the automotive myths of what they did 20-50 years ago - vehicle have improved significantly in the last decade!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX Sedan 2012 Acura TL Advanced, 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
26 Posts
Just think of how many engines would be saved if people changed their oil more frequently. It's a great thought of saving oil, but not at the cost of a $4500 engine. A little overkill is piece of mind and money in your pocket. Some engines need more attention depending on climate and use.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Just think of how many engines would be saved if people changed their oil more frequently. It's a great thought of saving oil, but not at the cost of a $4500 engine. A little overkill is piece of mind and money in your pocket. Some engines need more attention depending on climate and use.
Most reports of engine damage due to inattention to oil have implied 20,000+ km between changes, usually with no top-ups.

When I started motoring, the usual recommendation was to change oil every 1000 miles (1,600 km), and that's what my father did with his 1960 GM engine; it didn't prevent sludging. I think that I used to change the oil every 5000 km in the early days, but now it's 10,000 km or every year, sometimes more depending on usage.

I'm a bit more obsessive about small engines, like lawnmowers or generators. Manufacturer's recommendation with these is first change at about 10 hours, and then every 50 hours (100 hours for a stationary application). I like to change the mower oil twice a year, before and after the main growing season, but it's only a matter of 600 ml oil and 2 minutes work.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
its extremely rare that lack of reasonable oil changes would wreck an engine, I've been on forums for six years and can't recall a single instance.
However, I have said that in my comment that by following the owners manual and decide whether you meet the normal conditions or severe conditions with regards when to change the oil and filter. Only you can decide which category fits your type of driving (and be honest with yourself).

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Thanks, Conwelpic for your usual sensible reply and associated information. The properly written and down to earth bulletins and instruction manuals from KIA are a breath of fresh air, compared to the "Japlish" offerings from some manufacturers.

I swear that some handbooks are written by people who have never driven a car (the sections on manual transmission are often a source of entertainment).

·
Registered
my other vehicle is a 82 Vanagon PopTop Camper
3 Posts
I'll add my 2-cents
I bought my 2013 Rio5 (1.6L/auto) new in Oct. 2012.
I read the break-in process in the owner's manual
I kept the factory oil in for that process

No matter how precisely machined the engine components are, they still must be broken-in/worn-together, especially seating the rings in the cylinders
I wanted that 'break-in' oil and it's contamination out as soon as the break-in period was over
All oil/filter changes are with Castrol Syntech oil and Purolator PureONE filter
At 1,250: used 5-20W
At 2,500: used 5-20W
At 5,000: used 5-20W
And againg at every 5K afterwards, only changing to 5-30W during hot summer driving

I plan to own and drive my Kia well into the 100K and beyond range

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX, 2004 SRT 10 Viper
30 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I bought my Rio NEW this month (Aug '13). I looked at the manufacture date and it was Aug '12. That means as soon as I brought it home it was due for an oil change with ....14 miles on it!

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I bought my Rio NEW this month (Aug '13). I looked at the manufacture date and it was Aug '12. That means as soon as I brought it home it was due for an oil change with ....14 miles on it!
your kidding right :D - its from the date of delivery to the customer not when it was built. :lol:
If built in Aug '12 depending on what part of the month it came out of production, the dealer wouldn't even receive it till late October or mid-November. :)

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX, 2004 SRT 10 Viper
30 Posts
The clock starts (for the oil or any time related fluid item not for warranty items) as soon as the engine is started the first time. They put the oil in Aug and started up for the first time in Aug '12.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will never understand the whole normal and severe maintance schedule. Where in the world is there none of the following conditions: Repeated short distance driving.
• Driving in dusty conditions or sandy areas.
• Extensive use of brakes.
• Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are being used.
• Driving on rough or muddy roads.
• Driving in mountainous areas.
• Extended periods of idling or low speed operation.
• Driving for a prolonged period in cold temperatures and/or extremely humid climates.
• More than 50% driving in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 32°C (90°F)

It must be a relatively small portion of the world's population.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
in my case winter driving would be severe but once that's over its normal. Everyone has to decide on their own personal conditions and get the vehicle serviced accordingly. I just make it simple and go in for service every six months.

In the US Kia even issued a TSB to say that the vast majority of owners would only need the normal service schedule.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts