Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
06 mitsubishi eclipce gt-se v6 106k miles , 00 sportage base 72,802 miles 2wd... purple...
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will the block of a 626 work? just wanting to know in case i cant find a sporty in the yard. i have seen a few 626s thats why im asking.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Edit:

I read your other thread on this issue - sorry to read you are having trouble after the ring replacement.

If you did not hone the cylinder walls, and want to keep the existing block, you really should check w/ a local motor/speed shop to see (what) your options are for honing the existing block before tackling the project:
*I don't know the run-out limit on the Sporty motor, I've never had to do this on a Sporty motor..

If your interest is just getting the Sporty back on the road quickly, would highly recommend sourcing a replacement motor and just swapping out -

local classifieds / craigslist,
local salvage yard / "pick-n'pull",
www.car-part.com
or a regional / national company, like LKQ auto:
http://www.lkqcorp.com/
If you have a '00 Sportage, you can source a Sporty motor from 1998-2002 without issue: but as recently posted, everything after the rear main seal is trans-dependent, so would recommend sourcing the same motor (2wd/4wd) and trans type (auto, 5spd) whenever possible,

Edit 2:
--
*Per the post on solomiata's webpage, the rear main bolt pattern between the (Mazda) and (Kia) FE3 motors is different, unless you are doing a complete teardown: you should source a replacement Sportage motor.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
06 mitsubishi eclipce gt-se v6 106k miles , 00 sportage base 72,802 miles 2wd... purple...
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
a motor isnt in the budget or else i would of had one sooner :(.
i called a good shop around here and it would be $140 to bore the block but then i would have to find bigger pistons, etc. if i was keeping this thing i would but im not planing on keeping it, i flip cars for profit and this is one of those cars.

looking at that link, it good info., so the only thing diff. about the block is the flywheel mounts(6 on the mazda and 8 on the sportage)? so how would that effect me? would i have to use the mazda flywheel? would that work? or would i use the crank from the sporty and would that work?

sorry for the 20 questions but i need to know before i take the 2 hour round trip to the yard.

thanks for all the help so far guys.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
re: using 626 motor in Sporty, I haven't done it, if you read the solomiata blog, he had to do custom fab work to get his project completed,

re: moving crank from Sporty motor to 626 block, again dunno / haven't done it, suggest trying to contact solomiata to see if he can provide any info, if serious about doing the swap,

*** re: cost of motor - if just flipping for profit, pickup the Sporty motor and build the cost into the asking price, vs. trying to swap bits between the (2),

re: $140 for having the existing block (cleaned), decked, & honed, that's an -excellent- price for the service. Solomiata's page did list alternate piston sources, you will need to investigate or contact him if you decide to go this route (build the motor).

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx for the help, i will contact him and then let u guys know for future reference.
the 140 is just for a bore, nothing else and im sure pistons r alot of $$$ where i can get a block from the yard for $100

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wrote solomiata so we will see what he says and i will let u guys know.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well it turns out solomiata is out of town for ??? amount of time.
i today got a caliper from a friend and checked the bore, it appears this is a junk yard block that was in it when i got it and when i was in the motor, someone had already marked the rod and caps so i know someone was there.
i found out that i was getting blow by on the valves so to day took them out.
they dont have the spring compressor that is needed for these heads so instead of waiting 5-8 days and paying $50 for the thing shipped, i made my own with great success, i will make a thread on the making later with pics.

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
If you look at the solomiata post, it is a few years old. I think he has moved on and is not answering emails to this address.
UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he is, he sent me an automated message saying he is out of town and will get back to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you have a '00 Sportage, you can source a Sporty motor from 1998-2002 without issue: but as recently posted, everything after the rear main seal is trans-dependent, so would recommend sourcing the same motor (2wd/4wd) and trans type (auto, 5spd) whenever possible,
Regards,
GottaCruise
GC I have a question, What do you mean "everything after the rear main is trans dependent"? Do you mean flywheel and converter? Or is there something else as well? I have a 2000 auto with a cracked block and a 97 stick donor truck. Cant I just swap all of my trans related stuff from my old engine? Im guessing there is some intake issues between those years as well?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
GC I have a question, What do you mean "everything after the rear main is trans dependent"? Do you mean flywheel and converter?
Yes, that is what I meant.

Or is there something else as well? I have a 2000 auto with a cracked block and a 97 stick donor truck. Cant I just swap all of my trans related stuff from my old engine? Im guessing there is some intake issues between those years as well?
Yes, swap everything.

The flywheel ring IS INDEXED to mechanical TDC - make sure you align (both) motors to true (Static) TDC and place index marks on (each) FLYWHEEL RING, suggest using acrylic paint & marking at both the (starter) housing and the Crank Sensor opening..

After the swap, both index marks should be at the SAME POSITION / the motor should be at true (Static) TDC..

--
The blocks are the same, most likely the ECMs are different -

Use the block / head from the '97,

Swap over / install:

Complete Intake Manifold, including fuel rail, injectors,
Complete Exhaust Manifold, including B1S1 O2 sensor,
Complete Ignition components, including Coil Packs / wires / connector lead,

--
With the motor out, now is the BEST time to address the front/rear main seals, timing belt and pulleys, water pump, if needed.

Any oil in spark plug wells, install a new valve cover gasket.

--
Just remember to order TB/water pump parts for the 1997 motor, not the 2000 ...

--
Keep your motor(s) separated during the swap, and mark/label/store any bolts/nuts/bits in clear storage bags, labeled with the Year motor and where they came from (e.g. "1997 motor flywheel bolts") - in the event you need to swap bolts/bits between the two..

Good luck on the swap/install, keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,
GottaCruise

1 - 13 of 13 Posts