Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005, 6cyl, auto, Optima.
I live on a lake and the boat launch is about 2 miles from my house - A route where i never need to go over 15-20 mph.
I got rid of my small truck because I was sick of fixing it every time I wanted to use it. Not worth getting another for 2x a year use.
My boat and trailer weigh 2000 pounds.
I would never consider pulling the boat any distance. But, do you guys think it would be a problem for my Kia to pull my boat out of the lake and the short distance to my house? Isn't the biggest problem when towing the ability of the vehicle to brake the load? That wouldn't be a problem at these speeds.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima 2.4/Automatc
6 Posts
I think you would do fine. I've pulled many RV trailers and I pull a car behind my motorhome.
Your 6 cylinder shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Apparently, towing capacity for these cars is up to 3300 pounds (braked), so you shouldn't have any problems sneakily dragging your boat down to the lake. Just watch out for a slippery launching ramp - maybe some suitable chocks and a friend to help?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured that the towing capacity had to be fairly high. In the USA manual it says the vehicle is not recommended for towing. But, the Canadian, and obviously the Australian manual states the opposite. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts