Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, before anyone says "use the search", I have :) At least in this forum. I've read a ton of threads about oil, synth vs conventional, grades, you name it.

I've purchased Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 fully synthetic but have a couple of quick questions I hope you gurus can help me with.

1) I know 5W-40 will protect better against engine heat/oil break-down better than 30 weight. My SX calls for 5W-30 minimum in the manual and also says that on the oil cap. I bought 40 weight (synth) online after reading how it really is better especially if you live in a hot climate like I do in Southern California. But, finding 5W-40 in the stores isn't easy. And, the king of oil prices (from my research), Walmart, doesn't carry it. Only 5W-30.

Question: Is it REALLY worth the extra buck or so per quart for 5W-40 and having to order it online and wait a few days? Or, will buying the 5W-30 at Walmart suffice? Even when temps here where I live easily hit 100F to 104F in the late summer? If it's not a huge difference, I'll save the cash and get the 30...

2) Do you have to buy official Kia oil filters at your local dealer's parts dept. or do they also sell them online somewhere? If so, can someone please let me know where I can buy a few at a time?

I do know that official Kia filters are required as per the warranty (at least pretty sure I read that) so I want to make sure wherever I get them they are in fact Kia OEM parts. I've read that they are special somehow for the car. Like they have a valve or something special in them that the vehicle requires. Again, this may be totally false so I apologize for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
I would use 5W30, it will be fine. You have all the reasons to use OEM Kia oil filters, and not to many not to. I can sell you Kia filters. They have a list price of $6.50 each. I will sell to you for 4.99 each. No tax, plus shipping.

·
Registered
967 Posts
You're making a mistake in using oil with an upper number higher than the recommendation. I made that mistake consistently years ago and ruined several cars before I wised up. It may interest you to note that 5W30 is already an increase from the usual non-turbo recommendation of 5W20. The engine is designed and made with certain clearances to accomodate oil of a certain maximum viscosity. I have read several technical studies on how today's 4-cam, 4-valve engines are subject to being ruined when a heavier oil is used, because under most conditions it takes it longer to get to all the places in the head it needs to go.
In the SX, I definitely would use full-syn after a good break-in of about 10,000 miles, and I would not vary from the viscosity recommendation. Look at it this way - if you use the heavier weight oil and have engine problems, your warranty could be void. If you use what they say to use, they have to fix it should there be a defect in the engine.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would use 5W30, it will be fine. You have all the reasons to use OEM Kia oil filters, and not to many not to. I can sell you Kia filters. They have a list price of $6.50 each. I will sell to you for 4.99 each. No tax, plus shipping.
Good to know. Thx for the info. I suspected that and will return the cases I bought and save the cash by going w/ 5W-30 instead for the SX. Especially since it's much easier to find in stores...

Also, thx for offering the filters! Good price. I'll PM you to see how much shipping would be. I'll buy 4 or 5 I assume.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're making a mistake in using oil with an upper number higher than the recommendation. I made that mistake consistently years ago and ruined several cars before I wised up. It may interest you to note that 5W30 is already an increase from the usual non-turbo recommendation of 5W20. The engine is designed and made with certain clearances to accomodate oil of a certain maximum viscosity. I have read several technical studies on how today's 4-cam, 4-valve engines are subject to being ruined when a heavier oil is used, because under most conditions it takes it longer to get to all the places in the head it needs to go.
In the SX, I definitely would use full-syn after a good break-in of about 10,000 miles, and I would not vary from the viscosity recommendation. Look at it this way - if you use the heavier weight oil and have engine problems, your warranty could be void. If you use what they say to use, they have to fix it should there be a defect in the engine.
Saxman, thx for the info and makes total sense. The manual and cap of course say 5W-30 so I'll for sure just stick with that. The manual also states the turbo can use 5W-30 or 5W-40, but I'll just go with 30 weight to save some cash and make it easier to find.

I'm currently at 11,600 miles and at 10,000 I had them put in 5W-30 fully synthetic (Pennzoil something - didn't ask other than to verify it was indeed synth).

ps... Sorry for being a jerk the other day when replying to you. Not like me and I do apologize. Again, thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,870 Posts

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
I do know that official Kia filters are required as per the warranty (at least pretty sure I read that) so I want to make sure wherever I get them they are in fact Kia OEM parts. I've read that they are special somehow for the car. Like they have a valve or something special in them that the vehicle requires. Again, this may be totally false so I apologize for my ignorance.
The OEM filter are superior, but are not required to be used. However, if a warranty problem arises that was caused by the use of an aftermarket filter, then it will not be covered. Every filter has a different flow rate, with can cause lubrication issues and performance issues, especially in the case of variable timing components. I have personally seen three CVVT issues fixed just by replacing the aftermarket filters with OEM. 2 were Fram and one was a Proguard, which I believe is either Wix or Purolator relabeled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts