Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car (56k) has been fine for a month until last Thursday, then the following has happened.

Thurs: got in the car at the supermarket and it refused to start. Would crank ok but refused to fire. If I press the accelerator whilst trying to start, it would stop cranking and the lights on the dash would go off or dim. After multiple attempts, the car interior lights would click and flash like mad when I tried to start it and there was no longer any attempt to crank. Walked home, came back two hours later and it started first time. Engine check light was on, and I read it at home as P0340 (camshaft position sensor from memory).

Fri: left Ikea (maybe this car doesn't like car parks...) and again it refused to start. Same symptoms as above. The breakdown guy came out, and it started first time. He checked the battery and said the battery was definitely done for, after a number of checks. He said this could cause the P0340 code as the car could throw various codes if it wouldn't start properly.

Sat: took the breakdown guy's advice and fitted a new battery.

Sun: car fine

Mon: car fine

Tues: car fine all day until picked kids up from school and it refused to start. Managed to jump start it with a power pack, drove home and again engine check light was on. Read the code and this time it threw codes P0171 and P0174 (too lean from memory?). No P0340 code this time. An hour later I got in the car to go somewhere and it refused to start again.

This morning: car started fine. Read codes and it now had four codes (either stored or pending) - P0340 twice, and P0171 and P0174, all presumably from the night before.

I've read a few pieces about problems with the camshaft position sensor as indicated by P0340. Does the above suggest this is the problem, and the battery was not at fault at all?

As I'm at 56k, if it is the position sensor then I will get the belts done at the same time. But, essentially I'm trying to establish if the sensor is the problem and that replacing it at the same time as the belts will solve the problem.

Many thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Same thing mine did at about 52,000mi.

You'll need to change the Camshaft and Crankshaft position sensors. Might as well change out the timing belt now (it's gotta come off to change the sensors) and is due at 60k anyways.

If you don't take care of it now, it'll start stalling out while you're driving too, not just when you're trying to start it after sitting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had this same issue. the timing belt does not have to come off for them to do this. A local shop replaced the offending sensor for less than 300.00. This forum is timing belt changing crazy for some reason, i think a few people do it every couple of weeks!

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Sorry I don't get your point, at his mileage he is almost at the time to change the belt anyway, might as well only pay for the labour once. A broken belt will almost certainly write off most of the valves, which wil be much more expensive.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
I had this same issue. the timing belt does not have to come off for them to do this. A local shop replaced the offending sensor for less than 300.00. This forum is timing belt changing crazy for some reason, i think a few people do it every couple of weeks!
You are right in that the cam sensor does not need the belt to be removed in order to be changed. You are wrong that the crankshaft sensor does not need the belt removed in order to be changed. If changing the belt when recommended by an auto manufacturer to keep your warranty is "crazy" count me in. I don't have thousands of dollars to either fight Kia or replace an engine when the belt goes and grenades the top end.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
You are right in that the cam sensor does not need the belt to be removed in order to be changed. You are wrong that the crankshaft sensor does not need the belt removed in order to be changed. If changing the belt when recommended by an auto manufacturer to keep your warranty is "crazy" count me in. I don't have thousands of dollars to either fight Kia or replace an engine when the belt goes and grenades the top end.
Also taking into consideration that the Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors read off each other too. So if one is failing, it may report the error as the OTHER sensor. I have had several vehicles where one or the other was listed bad by the computer, change it, and it's still bad. Change the other too, and the code clears and the vehicle runs just fine.
So Yes, the belt should come off, especially being that the OP is within 4000mi of it being due for change. Jasonv, if you're over 60,000mi now, hope that the belt holds up, if it goes, it takes most of the top end of the engine with it. $$$$$

1 - 6 of 6 Posts