Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Ford Fusion SEL / 2016 Kia Sedona SX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Kia has screwed prospective buyers again with their ridiculous "5,000 lbs. Towing Capacity" rating. Why? Because they have apparently decided to set the tongue weight rating on the Telluride to 350 lbs, which effectively limits the towing capacity to 3,500 lbs. with the factory installed tow packages. For anyone out there who has ever towed before, it's standard to configure tongue weight to 10-13% of the weight of the tow vehicle (including towed payload). Anything less runs the risk of inducing sway, which if you've never seen before, head over to YouTube and search for examples. Very dangerous stuff. I assume Hyundai/Kia pulled this garbage because they need to be segment competitive and 5,000 lbs. tow capacity is the standard for full-size crossovers these days. Anyway, very disappointed in this development because I was definitely eyeing some 3,500-4,000 lbs. travel trailers with 350-450 lbs. tongue loads to go with the purchase of a newTelluride. Looks like I may need to look at an Explorer or Durango now.

·
Registered
181 Posts
you should be alright with a tongue weight of 400 my sedona has the 3500 poundsrating and we tow a 3300 dry weight with 400-800 weight distribution hitch (that thing alone must weight 60 pounds!) No sway at all, not feeling like im tearing anything apart, good smooth acceleration (well see for the tranny in a few years/miles).

only issue seems to be with a wheel speed sensor or traction control, flashing sometimes. I had a noise in driver side front wheel, they replaced a link, but the intermittent flashing comes back occasionally. Makes keeping the cruise control on a bit harder, but once i also had a flat on a rear tire for almost 1000 miles, while towing. The tire deflated over night while we were sleeping at the campsite. Mpg just under 9 in fast paced Orlando traffic (probably with the flat tire too),more like 11mpg at 70mph for rest of the way. Downside was we stopped for gas every 250 miles, at most. It made the 23hour trip without towing a 30 hour trip (lower avrg speed maybe 10-15miles less per hour, too). Did it with no sleep both times, but that's another story.

I think they put a class III hitch on our van... for 5000 that may be a class IV, but as I said the Sedona handles an about 400 pounds tongue weight fine.. rear suspension is a bit compressed but not terribly so (maybe a quarter to 5/16 of an inch down).The suspension on the Telluride seems sturdier, wouldn't mind trying at least a 4000pounds dry-weight camper with it!

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
838 Posts
Get a weight distributing hitch and it won't be a problem. None of these uni-body SUV's are really tow vehicles, you'd want body on frame like a 4Runner to truly have great towing capacity.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,097 Posts
Sorento's 5000lbs, as is the Sante Fe XL was with the 3.3L. double check the spec's maybe its a oem hitch limiting rather than a CURT hitch??

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
93 Posts
This is crazy. The low 350lb tongue weight carried over from Sorento to Telluride as well? Rendering their 5000 lbs tow capacity pretty meaningless.

I saw on the brochure some Tellurides with self leveling suspensions do not allow the use of WD hitches too!

I guess if you really need a tow vehicle, Kias are probably not for you? I always assumed my 2017 Sorento's TW of 350 is a typo in my manual because they have conflicting info between US and Canadian versions, but I guess Kia is really serious about limiting it to 350 if this can carry over to a new model?

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,097 Posts
Well currently I using my son's 09 Explorer Ltd AWD w/ V8 4.6L engine. Its built to haul and can handle 5000lbs uphill all day long. LOL

He's taken my Highlander so I am selling this Explorer for him. Its heavy duty on frame design using the HD truck transmission. Full time AWD as well all wheel working the load. 500lbs on the tongue and it wouldn't blink.

Once sold I'll put the work onto the Sorento which is ready now.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6 AWD, 2005 Kia Sportage LX V6 AWD, 2014 Chevy Volt
326 Posts
I'm not sure what changed from the 2020 to the 2021 model, but the 2021 Telluride manual clearly states a 500 lbs tongue limit, not 350 as stated in other posts here. In addition, absolutely nothing in the manual mentions using or not using Weight Distribution hitch. It only recommends sway control.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts