Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 kia sportage 4x4 automatic, and I hear some scraping noise that gets louder then a real hard clunk noise in the front of the vehicle when ever I am driving. If I put it in 4 wheel drive then it is fine no clunking or scraping noise. It kinda seems like the four wheel drive is trying to engage.

What can I do to fix it? It is my wifes car and our driveway is really steep and is gravel so she needs 4 wheel drive every morning. I would like to keep the automatic locking hubs.. Because it is so conveinent for her.

What do you think?

·
Registered
349 Posts
The vacuum hubs have popped a leak. When that happens and you drive an extensive period of time in that condition it allows dirt and mositure to enter the hub and bearing area. The result is that the front wheel bearings get trashed and if left like that can damage the spindle too.

You may get lucky and the noise may just be a trashed hub and not a bearing. Warn industries sells 2 versions of hubs for the Sportage. One is a manual hub and it is the strongest and most reliable. They also sell a mechanical locking hub that doesn't require vacuum for engagement.
Check http://www.warn.com for details.

Do NOT attempt to fix the factory vacuum hubs and don't allow a Kia dealer to repair them either. They WILL fail again. It's a poor design and Kia never came out with a good fix.

When you replace the hubs remove the vacuum line from the back of the hub area and plug the port with a screw and epoxy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot. I cant find the mechanical locking hub on the warn website? Do you have a part number or a link? Also If it dont use the vacume the how can it engage mechanically? Does it come with install instructions? Can I order it through Advanced auto parts?

Many thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
Go to the Warn website and click on "Truck/Jeep/SUV" and that will take you to the hub application charts.

The Warn part number for the manual hubs is 60247. For the automatic locking hubs it is 61918. You'll find those numbers once you get to the vehicle specific application charts.

I know for a fact that Advance Auto Parts can order the manual hubs. That is how I obtained mine. Cost was $103 for the pair. I'm not sure about the automatic hubs. If they can order them make sure it is Warn part number 61918.

These auto hubs are an improved design that use a mechanical locking feature and don't require vacuum for engagement.

The hubs do include detailed installation instructions and no special tools are required however snap ring pliers make the job easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am wondering if it is the vacume hub itsself or maybe the hoses that have a leak. When I have it in 4 wheel drive it runs fine.

I wish I knew how the hubs worked it would give me alittle better understanding of whats going on

How does the mechanical hubs from warn work? what tells the hub to lock in if the vaccume hose dont?

Do you think if I replace the vacume hubs that would do the trick? I know they fail in time but I need a quick fix. Would just the hubs cause this problem?

I really appreciate your help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts