Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Sorento 06 and RWD works just fine, but when engage 4x4 it makes really grinding noise and feels like car is on parking break. When i switched back to 2x4 it took a while to disengage and then worked fine. I am scared to try 4x4 again because i dont wanna break anything. It was working fine last winter, but this summer i had front wheel bearings replaced and never tried 4x4 until now. It runs on RWD without problems. Also i noticed some drops of oil on garage floors , 3-4 drops overnight but it could be motor oil because last oil change they forgot to tighten bolt and 2 quarts of oil leaked out and spread all over underneath car when i was driving on freeway.
Please help. I live in alaska and its 4x4 season kicking in right now.
Thank you in advance.:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
It is normal for things to load up a bit when performing tight turns etc in 4x4. Otherwise given your service history, check the oil in the transfer case, make sure it is at the right level, and is the right oil. (should be Dex III ATF) Some mechanics seem to think that EP 90 should go into everything other than the engine.
Also check your front prop shaft uni joints.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for reply. I will check fluid and not sure what to look for at joint. What are the symptoms of transfer case fluid or front diff fluid leaked out besides spots on garage floor? )) Because i cant go faster than 2nd gear, feels like I am hauling tank and car just wont accelerate in 4x4, but in 2x4 it runs fine.
thanks again

·
Registered
515 Posts
Make sure front U joint is not siezed or binding and that front diff is filled to the plug hole. Apart from that can't think of anything else just at the present. If there was a problem with the replaced wheel bearings then they would drag the same, regardless of whether it is in 2 or 4WD.

Oh yes your tyres must be the same size front and back or you will get transmission windup when in 4WD which would not happen in 2WD.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
I have Sorento 06 and RWD works just fine, but when engage 4x4 it makes really grinding noise and feels like car is on parking break. When i switched back to 2x4 it took a while to disengage and then worked fine. I am scared to try 4x4 again because i dont wanna break anything. It was working fine last winter, but this summer i had front wheel bearings replaced and never tried 4x4 until now. It runs on RWD without problems. Also i noticed some drops of oil on garage floors , 3-4 drops overnight but it could be motor oil because last oil change they forgot to tighten bolt and 2 quarts of oil leaked out and spread all over underneath car when i was driving on freeway.
Please help. I live in alaska and its 4x4 season kicking in right now.
Thank you in advance.:confused::confused::confused:
Same thing happened to my 2004 Sorento front drive shaft ceased which eventually torn up the front diff!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had that problem and it was even harder to back up in 4x4 mode. What I found was the front wheel bearings were going and it was really noticeable only in 4 wheel drive. In 2 wheel drive try parking on a steep hill and put car in nuetral and take the breaks off and see how it rolls front or rear. Then put it in 4x4 high and drive a block or 2 and retest the car on a steep hill in nuetral and notice how much more drag there is. Then test it in 4x4 low and try again. It should be really hard to roll on a hill if the front wheel bearings are packing it in. Then check the front wheel bearings very, very carefully. Mine showed almost no wear but in low range 4x4 my Sorento would not roll untill I used the engine power to move it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Mine showed almost no wear but in low range 4x4 my Sorento would not roll untill I used the engine power to move it.
That is pretty much normal behaviour for low range. That's why you use it when decending hills off road.

I'm not sure how it can be the wheel bearings, on these cars the front axles turn whether they are in 4WD or not.

·
Registered
04 SORENTO XE CRDI
1 Posts
4wd !

Hi all,
The Sorento (03-09) does NOT have a centre differential, 4WD to be engaged ONLY ON LOOSE SURFACES!
Engaging 4WD on anything but loose surfaces will DESTROY parts of the transmission.....................................:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Paul S.

·
Registered
'03 Sorento EX
19 Posts
If the wheels are facing straight ahead and the tires are all the same size and pressure, it should roll easily in either 2WD or 4WD. Any conventional 4WD vehicle will bind when cornering on a dry paved surface - that's normal and should be avoided as per the owner's manual.

If yours binds when going straight in 4WD then something in the front propeller shaft is binding - probably the CV joint. With the front end jacked up and in 2WD, you should be able to turn the front propeller shaft pretty easily by hand. If not, there's your problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts