Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Platinum 20111-12 Model
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I know this topic was raised a few times in this forum, but I did not find an answer that satisfy me.

FYI. I have a Kia Sportage 2011-2012 model. Never drive off road before, so it is mainly used for city travelling. Recently, the 4WD system warning light shows up then disappeared a few times (not during the start up; it shown up solid after I drove for a while, then disappeared when I start the car again).

To be safe, I brought the car to check about 3 weeks ago. After spent half day checking, they told me that they have wipe the error log, and if the light show up again, the coupling for distributing the power between wheels need to be changed. And it will cost $3k!

Today, it shown up again. :( Is it safe to monitor the car for a few more months before I take it back to the workshop? Obviously, they did nothing last time, and the car seem alright to me, except the light indicate something is wrong.

Also, could someone please explain to me what is the light trying to tell me? someone suggested in the forum that maybe the front and back wheels worn differently, and causing the one set of the wheels is using more power than other. I am not the car expert, but if this is true, isn't that I should change the car wheel rather than the coupling?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Jacky

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX (AWD) - White
213 Posts
Mine has been doing the same thing for about 6 months now intermittently. (also a 2012 AWD). I bought a code scanner (Blue Driver) that goes into my OBDII port and I can read everything in real time through my phone, air temp, fuel pressure, emissions, etc.... it never sets a code.. NEVER. Even when the dash lights are on. From what has been suggested by the dealer and what I can gather, (starting to get a howl in the right front hub at higher freeway speeds) I have a wheel speed sensor that is going bad along with the wheel bearing. if the sensor cant read the one wheel but it gets good data from the others I'm thinking that is what is setting off the dash lights.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
KIA Sorento LX 2011
20 Posts
From what has been suggested by the dealer and what I can gather, (starting to get a howl in the right front hub at higher freeway speeds) I have a wheel speed sensor that is going bad along with the wheel bearing.
I drive a 2011 Sorento LX AWD. My vehicle started to do the 'howling' noise recently, especially at highway speeds. I thought it might be a front wheel bearing going bad but I changed both front bearings about a year or so ago and I'm reluctant to believe they're bad again. How did you resolve this issue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX (AWD) - White
213 Posts
I drive a 2011 Sorento LX AWD. My vehicle started to do the 'howling' noise recently, especially at highway speeds. I thought it might be a front wheel bearing going bad but I changed both front bearings about a year or so ago and I'm reluctant to believe they're bad again. How did you resolve this issue?

Thanks.
Easy fix for me, I traded it in and got a 14' sportage SX instead, because... well, turbo. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts