Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( How does the 4wd lock work ? I switch mine on move away slowly but it will not engage. If I turn full wheel lock whilst moving it will then engage, not good enough when you have no room to turn. Its been back to the dealer and they say its ok.
Any help would be appreciated, to show my dealer.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
67 Posts
Not sure on how the new sportage hubs work but on some of the older sportage (98 and earlier I think) they had mechanical hub locks which meant having to move about 5-10 feet forward or backward in order to engage/disengage. From what i know, the 99-the last year the 1st gen was sold, they had vaccum actuated hubs which I believe locked the hubs without having to move. The bad part was the vaccum actuated hubs were known to fail. The solution for me was to go out and install manual hublocks from warn. Don't know if this is much help but it's just my experience with it. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply General, The hubs are solenoid actuated I don't know whether they are mechanical or vacuum. If I move forward or backward in a straight line they will not engage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mmine has showed no problems, just had to put my foot flat down on the pedal to get moving. Once I got away the car was moving fine, only had to keep my foot heavy on the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
No hubs to engage, the cars front wheel drive in normal mode, with TOD system in place for 4wd.
4WD lock activates the TOD system, just need to be moving to get it working.

·
Registered
2 Posts
kia's 4wd lock

this is best post for kia's users.4wd lock activated to moving easly.kia's models are very cofort for drivers....
--------------------------------------------------------------
harris
Used Cars

·
Registered
2 Posts
this is best post for kia's users.4wd lock activated to moving easly.kia's models are very cofort for drivers....
--------------------------------------------------------------
harris
Used Cars

1 - 7 of 7 Posts