Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento Diesel 2007
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new in this forum. Nice to be here.
I have a Kia Sorento diesel EX 2007.
The 4wd System used to work fine. Some days ago, it was hard to engage. I hard to move the switch several times in order to make it work.
Nos it doesnt work at all. Any clue?
Fuses are OK, oil is OK, everything seems to be normal.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Must admit it sounds like you should start at the switch. A number of members have had faulty switches as a cause of this. The grease gets old and hard and stops the points contacting properly.
If you were in Australia I would just say park it out in the sun for a day all closed up and then try it!
If the switch checks out OK then begin to work your way through the wiring back to the plugs and contacts on the shift motor looking for dirt, mud or corroded connections.
Do you use it off road or in mud?

·
Registered
Kia Sorento Diesel 2007
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Any lights on the dash?
Or move the switch, and not lights on dash?

TOD model?
When in 4WD LO the green light blinks in the dash, but doesnt stay on. In 4WD HI nothing happens.
Thanks for your answer.
About the TOD?..... I dont know. It has a switch for 4WD HI and LO

·
Registered
Kia Sorento Diesel 2007
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI CMAR.

No mud or wet conditions. I checked the connections down the car and seems to be OK. I even hit the shift motor but nothing happened. Maybe the engine is stucked?
Thanks

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
If you have a switch for the Hi and Low, its not TOD.
If the switch is the issue, you usually get both 4wd Hi and Low lights come up ont he dash at the same time.
But its a cheap check to see if it is the switch. Buy yourself a spray can of electrical contact cleaner. Drown the switch in it. let it dry out, and then out it back in once dry. If its the switch, it should start working. Everytime i spray contact cleaner on it, i got about a month with out the issue before it would come back.

Can you confirm if you hear anything when moving into 4wd Hi?
and clunk noise? Go onto some wet lawn (or relatively soft sand) and accelerate hard after trying to put it into 4wd. Does just the rear spin, or does it take off. *what i am getting at hear, is the dash bulb could have blown, but 4wd Hi still works.....

Also when trying to put it into 4wd Low are you in Neutral?
Just went back to read your initial post, you say used to work fine, so i assume it is in Neutral...

You also said it was hard to engage, did it just not go, or did it try but fail?
Seeing as one light is showing on the dash, i am also kinda thinking it may be the shift motor.
The little motor on the transfer case that shifts between RWD, 4wd hi and Low.

Check out this thread
http://www.kia-forums.com/2003-2010-sorento-forum/79629-4w-low-wont-engage-need-help.html

There is a couple links there, open them to check out the issues with the switch.

Also what i said about the shift motor, there is info about it on the attached (in the other thread) pdf's. Page 36 shows the shift motor.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento Diesel 2007
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks RandomBob?
There is no clank noise. And I'm sure that the 4WD is not working.

Some days ago, when it was hard to engage the System, I had to move the switch several times until it worked.

In both 4wd LO, There is no light on the dash, but in HI the light blinks.

I'm going to try with the electrical contact cleaner. Thanks for the clue.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Sounding more like the switch. Somewhere on here is a post where someone dismantled one and cleaned and re-greased it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Cmar, that was me that took the switch apart.
Doesn't sound like the switch to me.
With the switch both 4wd Hi and low lights come on at the same time.

Also it seems to be recognising the fact that the switch has been moved to the 4wd Hi position by the blinking 4wd Hi light.

My opinion is that it cant actually put it into 4wd, even though it reading the switch correctly. I think it may be the what is called the shift motor.
Its an electrical motor that is on the transfer case.

Can you maybe get someone else to switch the modes while you have your hand on the shift motor to feel if its trying to move??

By all means try the electrical contact cleaner though. I mean its only a $10 test!!!

On the link aboce there are two pdf's, that will show you the shift motor.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento Diesel 2007
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys.

Thanks for all your help, but the problem was other kind, let me tell you,maybe usefull for you.

After checked all the wires, disassebled the 4WD switch,checked the oil. The problem was with the battery!!!. Yes, the battery.

Today when I was going to turn on the car, the battery didn't respond (it was only 14 months old, a BOSH). I changed it, and the 4WD system is working OK.

Thanks guys for all your help, hopping that my experience could be useful for the forum.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2007 4x4, Mercedes E200 Kompressor 2000
42 Posts
can you help with my case? The two lights og 4WD and 4LOW just blink when I put the knob on them. No noise and no klink. no other lights on the dashboard either. I had the car checked but the scanner says there is no problem with the 4WD system.

To add, I had the engine's rear seal replaced when the 4WD used to work. After that I had the ABS and ESC OFF lights on, so, I do not really know which actions caused the 4wd function to malfunction or lets say, to stop working.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have heard of someone else having a similar of issue of both lights blinking, but i have never seen, and cant remember if it fixed it. I seem to remember that someone mentioned they changed their batter and it fixed a wierd a issue (not sure if it was this one) and that fixed that persons wierd issue.
Might be worth checking your batteries health??

Most sustems flash the two 4x4 and 4Lo lights on system startup (kia sorento) then go off.
You should notice it when you start the car.
If there is an issue, usually the lights will stay on.

I have not seen them flash...
The be honest, i put the scanner on mine when i was having issues, and the scanner picked up nothing. I dont think (not sure here) that the 4wd system components are integrated into the OBD system.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2007 4x4, Mercedes E200 Kompressor 2000
42 Posts
I am not sure if this will help. My 2007 3.8 4x4 sorento lost its 4x4 capability 6 months ago and over the past 6 months none of the 6 or 7 mechanics and electricians could detect the problem. When engaging the knob to 4Hi or 4WD Low, the only thing that happens is that the lights blink, I mean when put on 4 Hi, the HI light blinks, but without any klonk or noise. If you put the knon on 4WD Low, the light blinks, too, but there is no noise at all.

I have to mention that the actuator (the small 4wd engine) was not checked by anyone at all in the 6 months. So, I decided to step up and check it out. I found instructions on Kiatechonfo.com about how to remove it, pretty easy and fast. I did remove it and tried it outside, it did not work. So, I thought that I should get another one, but, wait a minute, why not dismantle it since it is junk. I dismantled it and took everything out. Guess what, there was the problem. It seems that when my very first mechanic whom I asked to replace the rear engine seal, had hit, a slight hit, hit the actuator. That caused a break of the inner magnets around the inner motor. Thats why the 4x4 never worked. So, I took out that broken chip and put the engine (actuator) back, and there you go! Everything works!

So, please take the actuator out and test it on your battery. Thats all I can help you with.

Jaber
Libya

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good work Jaber.
Dont suppose you have any photos of the broken part.

So it seems that the double lights (hi and low) staying on is the TCCM module not reading something. And the blinking indicates the TCCM Module reads everything fine, but there is an mechanical issue. I believe i have read on the kiatech web site they blink at different speeds to indicate different issues.

Did you try and match up the blinking speeds to a diagnosis, or just give it a go?

Lastly did both lights blink at the same time, or only 4Hi when trying to engage 4Hi and 4Low when trying to engage 4Low?

Something to keep in the memory bank incase you hit a rock underbody and then 4wd no longer works...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts