Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new to the forum here. My fiance and I bought her a 2000 Sportage back in Sept. it's 4wd, base model, 90,000 miles. Engine and tranny run well and I've read there have been a lot of issues with sputtering.

(one of my many annoying issues)

Today, I noticed 4wd wasn't working. I did check it before we bought it and the transfer case engages, meaning in 4wd I can't turn the front driveshaft. I looked at it today and saw that there were no vacuum hoses from the vacuum actuator (I think?) to the wheel hubs. So I replaced them today thinking it would be an easy fix, but it didn't work. I took the hose off of the actuator in front of the master cylinder and it does have suction.

Also, we checked the records before the purchase and it was in a front end accident. The front differential and axial were replaced and look new (no frame damage).

When on jacks and in 4wd the front wheels spin, front driveshaft does not.

Any ideas?

I am okay with doing basic work on cars and am good at replacing stuff but not at diagnosing.

Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
196 Posts
Do the front axles turn when you spin the wheels? I am not sure if the driveshaft will turn, because the wheels are driven and not drivers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure, I don't remember taking note of that when I was under it. I will take a look tomorrow at it. Is there a way to check if the hub seals are back? I have read here that they often go and kill the whole system.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
The hub seals were and are the weak point with these hubs, quickest most effective fix, replace with manual hubs.... Philip

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked today and when the front is up, in 4wd, the front axles spin freely, the wheels spin freely too. The front driveshaft is engaged though. Does this mean it is an issue with the front differential?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts