Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my 2016 sorento (KX3 manual) yesterday and slowly pulled around a broken down car in front of me. There was a reasonably loud bang from what I think was towards the rear of the car and I thought little of it until I got about a mile down the road and noticed the handling seemed to have changed. When now pulling away in 1st and 2nd the front wheels easily spin up (even with modest throttle) especially if any steering lock is applied and there is some torque steer under heavy acceleration. (I've never managed to wheel spin this car in the previous 50k miles no matter how quick I pull out of a junction)

I took it into a dealer who was on my 250 mile route, who quickly shoved it on a ramp and looked at casings, steering, suspension to check for anything obvious that had broken but they couldn't look at it any more than that. Said its safe and I should book into my local dealer. (great words of advice there, thanks kia )

I've also noticed its now much quicker to accelerate than normal and cornering doesn't feel like its 4WD any more. (feels very front wheel drive to me)

There are fault no lights and no ODB fault codes and the car doesn't make any mechanical noises it shouldn't.

Booked into the dealer who will look at it in 2 weeks time (earliest slot they had).

Anybody got any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was driving my 2016 sorento (KX3 manual) yesterday and slowly pulled around a broken down car in front of me. There was a reasonably loud bang from what I think was towards the rear of the car and I thought little of it until I got about a mile down the road and noticed the handling seemed to have changed. When now pulling away in 1st and 2nd the front wheels easily spin up (even with modest throttle) especially if any steering lock is applied and there is some torque steer under heavy acceleration. (I've never managed to wheel spin this car in the previous 50k miles no matter how quick I pull out of a junction)

I took it into a dealer who was on my 250 mile route, who quickly shoved it on a ramp and looked at casings, steering, suspension to check for anything obvious that had broken but they couldn't look at it any more than that. Said its safe and I should book into my local dealer. (great words of advice there, thanks kia )

I've also noticed its now much quicker to accelerate than normal and cornering doesn't feel like its 4WD any more. (feels very front wheel drive to me)

There are fault no lights and no ODB fault codes and the car doesn't make any mechanical noises it shouldn't.

Booked into the dealer who will look at it in 2 weeks time (earliest slot they had).

Anybody got any ideas what this could be?

Sounds like the AWD coupler isn't engaging. Mine is going bad (clunks around turns), so I pulled the 4WD fuse to disengage it completely until its fixed. It essentially operates like a FWD car at this point, similar to what you describe. Feels faster, front wheels are easy to spin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the AWD coupler isn't engaging. Mine is going bad (clunks around turns), so I pulled the 4WD fuse to disengage it completely until its fixed. It essentially operates like a FWD car at this point, similar to what you describe. Feels faster, front wheels are easy to spin.
Sounds expensive, glad these babies have a 7 year warranty! Thinking about it, you no longer hear it when you first start the car. (you could faintly hear it before). I guess mine went POP then. You'd think the car would tell you with some kind of fault code/light etc.

I'll post what the dealer comes back with in a couple of weeks when we have the official diagnosis & damage report. Thanks for your help though!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds expensive, glad these babies have a 7 year warranty! Thinking about it, you no longer hear it when you first start the car. (you could faintly hear it before). I guess mine went POP then. You'd think the car would tell you with some kind of fault code/light etc.

I'll post what the dealer comes back with in a couple of weeks when we have the official diagnosis & damage report. Thanks for your help though!
Seems to be a fairly common problem--some people report replacing them every 20k-30k miles. I'm hoping that's not the case for me.

If its a purely mechanical breakage of something in the driveline, it likely wouldn't trigger a light. Let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Seems to be a fairly common problem--some people report replacing them every 20k-30k miles. I'm hoping that's not the case for me.

If its a purely mechanical breakage of something in the driveline, it likely wouldn't trigger a light. Let us know what you find out!
Think about it, there is NO WAY it is a fairly common every 20k-30k miles issue. Many folks on here including myself have double that mileage or more and have never had the problem you are talking about. This is the first I have heard of it.... that right there tells you it is not a common problem at all.

I am curious what the issue is though. Maybe as more of our Sorento's get up there in the mileage it will be more common. I am curious how much it would cost out of warranty to fix it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Think about it, there is NO WAY it is a fairly common every 20k-30k miles issue. Many folks on here including myself have double that mileage or more and have never had the problem you are talking about. This is the first I have heard of it.... that right there tells you it is not a common problem at all.

I am curious what the issue is though. Maybe as more of our Sorento's get up there in the mileage it will be more common. I am curious how much it would cost out of warranty to fix it.
My dealer stocks the part and has done quite a few. He knew that problem just by me describing the symptoms on the phone. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean its not common--do a search here and you'll see a number of issues with this-

I can't insert links due to my post count, but there are a number of threads on this, including one 9 pages long in the 2014-2015 Sorento forum (also uses Dynamax AWD system) titled "AWD Slipping ? Rear Slipping ?"

·
Registered
563 Posts
My dealer stocks the part and has done quite a few. He knew that problem just by me describing the symptoms on the phone. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean its not common--do a search here and you'll see a number of issues with this-

I can't insert links due to my post count, but there are a number of threads on this, including one 9 pages long in the 2014-2015 Sorento forum (also uses Dynamax AWD system) titled "AWD Slipping ? Rear Slipping ?"

No, it is not that common in the 2016 and newer Sorentos..... I have never seen a post in the 2.5 years I have posted here. I am not saying there nas never been a post in the 2016 plus forum... sure, I could have missed one....but the issue is uncommon.

·
Registered
527 Posts
the Magna Dynamax AWD system is programmed to use 100% power to the front wheels when ever it can.

maybe something internal in the differential, like the oil pump that pressurizes and engages the clutch plates?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts