Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
2008 Kia Sorento lx 3.3 v6
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to this forum, I have a 2008 Sorento which is in pretty great shape to be honest however...
It had been sat for a while until I started driving it about a year ago, I am having problems with the 4wd.
When I select 4wd Hi I can hear the pump under the hood near the battery pumping and a clicking from under the car, the dash lights indicate it has selected 4wd, when I go to pull away its still in 2wd, on the times 4wd does engage once I move it bangs (I think from the passenger side front) and goes back in to 2wd??
I did test the pump near the battery and it was pushing out approx 4psi.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Diesel Pro
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
Transferred from PM: (for the benefit of others

The pump runs for a very short time and then shuts off, it does the same when I go back to 2wd.
OK, good - that should eliminate possible issues with front axle activation anyway.
Tires are all matching Michelin about 6 months old and have been rotated since fitting.
That's good as well.

My best guess at the moment would be dirty contacts at the transfer case harness connectors. If it can be put on a ramp it makes cleaning a good bit easier and with the wheels lifted you can check the action 'live' (and possible know where the 'clunk' is coming from.

Check the action engaging 4 LOW (when stopped).

I think I will get it in to the workshop tomorrow and have a clean up of all the connections etc.
When the 4wd does engage and I stop, put it in neutral select 4wd Low it makes a clunk noise and is rearing to go once I put it back in drive and take my foot off the brake (eg I can drive it up on to ramps without the gas pedal), same clunk noise again when I go back to 2wd.

Registered
2008 SORENTO EX
Hard to say without being there...but may the diaphragm in the front diff is leaking and not fully engaging. The diaphragm uses air pressure from the pump to 'push' the two halves of the diff housing together so that it 'engages'...otherwise it just free wheels. Dumb design in my opinion that really doesn't save anything...expensive and a pain to replace. Suzuki's used the same design in their front diff...many of those owners just weld the two halves together. Mine went out two years ago...I used some zip ties and plastic spacers to have the front diff always engaged and just used the transfer case to switch between 2wd and 4wd. I know it is a hack, but so far, it works.

Registered
2008 Kia Sorento lx 3.3 v6
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quick update on this, I really appreciate the help btw, I checked all of the plugs and connections, all seemed fine, while I was under there the UJ from the transfer box to the front driveshaft is toast so I have one of those on order - start with the simple stuff I guess...

Diesel Pro
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
start with the simple stuff I guess
It helps ...... but it's all relative. Do you have 2 U/J on the front prop shaft from transfer case to Front diff? I have on TOD type but don't recall what was fitted to EST models. Or is it one U/J and CV joint as on earlier models?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts